Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

SP2 Service Pack 2/Restore/Repair

• Please log in to reply

HotPinkee

HotPinkee

• Pip
  • 1 posts
My issue is I cannot restore or repair my computer. Somehow I have to uninstall SP2 Service Pack 2 but when I try the 3 options available to uninstall a message pops up and says it cannot find the file and then aborts the uninstallation. Now when I try to restore it goes through the entire process and after it starts back up it says in RED this computer cannot be restored....No matter what date I put in there. I have went to RUN and tried to Repair my windows and it says my version of windows is NEWER than the I386.. I have even tried to reboot and hit F4 and then i chose to boot using last good configuration..nothing.. My SYSTEM is : Windows XP Home Edition Version 2002 Service Pack 2 Emachines T-2385.
Does anyone have any ideas as to what happened and Why I can no longer use My windows components and maybe How I can fix this w/o having to Reinstall the OS...Maybe its the windows updates I am downloading from microsoft??? I mean I d/l all the updates am I not supposed to?

SFC will not work it says I do not have it..I tried that too!!

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
I think you will have to re-install XP to resolve these issues. When you try to perform a repair, the system detects that SP2 is installed which is a major update so is , in effect, a newer version of Windows. The repair function will only work for the original pre-installed version of Windows XP on your PC (that is to say, without SP2). So I advise you re-install the original version. Then give it time to settle down using the original version of XP Home for a few hours before you add SP2 again. And do make sure you temporarily disable any 'real-time' antivirus and anti-spyware file-checking before doing so as they can interfere with SP2 while it's being installed, causing corruption or an incomplete installation. Once it's installed, however, you can enable all your usual real-time security again.

Edited by pip22, 14 July 2007 - 05:57 AM.