Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I NEED HELP

• Please log in to reply

FireFox2005

FireFox2005

• Pip
  • 6 posts
every time i load up xp home in safe mode and in regular mode after some time ussually a short period it will just shut its self off and it is really aggervating and i could really use some help is there anything that i could do to fix this problem if so then please tell me

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Shuts OFF or reboots?

Off is generally heat--you need to open your computer and clean out the dust bunnies.

Reboots is typically memory, but can be many things.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
...including drivers, faulty system files, power supply....

FireFox2005

FireFox2005

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
it will like shut down but when ever its off and i have an optical mouse and i will press the on button and the mouse will be on while the comp is still off because it takes several pushes of the button for it to turn on

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
that sounds like a failing power supply....though, is it ALWAYS like that or if you leave it alone for a while, and come back does it start right up

If it is always like that, I woudl lean toward power supply, if you allow it to cool between sessions, I still say heat

FireFox2005

FireFox2005

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
it has just recently started doing it about 2 days ago and i just press the on button a few times till the lights go on and everything and then after a few minutes it will just cut off its got 256mb of RAM and it runs pretty slow i want to get it to a good fast running speed it will take about 15 sec for my documents to come up after being clicked on and when i am playing music and opening like fire fox the music will slow down uintill firefox is completly loaded

FireFox2005

FireFox2005

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
a few months ago i had a new mother board and processer put in it because it had been fried because of lightning and i saved the hard drives and the dvd rom and cd burner and it had been working great i guess i just up loaded it to much and now its been turning off and its really frustrating

FireFox2005

FireFox2005

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
im in dire need of some help

FireFox2005

FireFox2005

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Yeah i discovered that the fan on the power supply went out now is there any way that i could remove only the fan and replace it or do i need a new power supply