Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Laptop won't POST

• Please log in to reply

min

min

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Toshiba laptop (2yrs. old) running windows XP.

When I press the power button it turns on for only 10 sec., then shuts off. Screen is blank, no beeps, no error messages. When battery is installed the fan runs for a couple of seconds then fan shuts off followed by the laptop shutting off. When using AC only (no battery installed) laptop is on 10 seconds, but no fan. AC adaptor has been checked and is working fine. And also tried different outlets with no success.

The screen does not power on for the 10 sec. the only thing on is the power light.

Advertisements

macten

macten

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 638 posts
In all probability your going to have to take it in for repair. But I would try this first:

shutdown, pull the plug, remove battery

press and hold power button for 30 seconds

leave battery out, plugin, try and bootup

here's a troubleshooting flowchart:

http://www.daileyint...pc/lappower.htm

It's possible that a connection is loose or needs to be re-seated. If it were mine and out of warranty, I would take it apart and re-seat everything. But I realize that not everyone wants to get into that type of work. If you do take it apart, make sure you put every screw back where it came out. A slightly longer screw in the wrong hole could damage a component.

edit....if you have two ram sticks try it with each one.

Edited by macten, 14 July 2007 - 04:57 PM.

min

min

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks to the both of your replies, I tried it all with no luck. I am off to find someone to fix it. Appreciate your quick reply.

Update: I took the laptop to a business in the area to check and possibly fix. He fixed it and said it was caused by the hibernation mode and/or the option of hibernation when closing the lid. Thought others, with laptops, may want to change these settings before they have the same problem.

Edited by min, 16 July 2007 - 04:45 PM.