Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows file protection

• Please log in to reply

TACPDN

TACPDN

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Short story: I try to clean my hard drive, and I get a windows file protection message saying I have some messed up files and need to insert my windows SP 2 CD. When I tried scanning with the run sfc /scannow command, it says I need to insert my windows professional CD 2. I have neither of those CDs (My laptop only came with a toshiba recovery CD, which I tried and won't work). Is there any way to get the files online, or in any other way that doesn't involve going out and buying those CDs?

thanks!

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
You would need to know the names of the missing or damaged files, and which folder to put them in if you went looking for them online. SFC requires a Windows CD (as you've discovered) and it knows which files are damaged and wher to put the new copies.

What exactly happens when you try to use the Toshiba Recovery media? On my Toshiba laptop you have to insert the first recovery CD, restart the laptop and press/hold down the "C" key as soon as you see "press C to boot from cd-rom". Yours might use the same method.

TACPDN

TACPDN

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Is there any way to find out what files are missing/damaged?

What exactly happens when you try to use the Toshiba Recovery media? On my Toshiba laptop you have to insert the first recovery CD, restart the laptop and press/hold down the "C" key as soon as you see "press C to boot from cd-rom". Yours might use the same method.

The instructions are the same, but I do not want to lose all my data/settings so I didn't try that! lol. What I did was to run the WFP scan, and when asked for the CD I inserted the toshiba CDs. Neither of them worked. (I wasn't expecting them to, but since those are the only CDs which my computer came with I figured I'd give them a try)

There's a pinned topic which says you can make windows XP self-fix itself (without losing all your data), but it requires a Windows XP CD. Could I maybe use the toshiba one?

Edited by TACPDN, 14 July 2007 - 07:25 AM.