Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account

System recovered

• Please log in to reply

Guest_MarkN_*

Guest_MarkN_*
I have an older VAIO I have been working on and have done a sytem recovery 4x in the last 2 days. I get 78 updates available after recovery. When I install them and reboot it just shows a black screen, with a flashing cursor about 2 inches low on the left side of monitor. Can the Norton software or spybot be foiling the install? Or is there another problem. It was a fresh install with the harddrive formatted.

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
If you are referring to Windows updates, then yes, any real-time antivirus scanner that's running, and even real-time anti-spyware scanners, can cause some of the updates to install improperly. You should temporarily disable them until all the updates have installed. By "real-time" scanners I mean those that actually check files for viruses or spyware as they are being downloaded or installed.

Edited by pip22, 14 July 2007 - 05:38 AM.

Guest_MarkN_*

Guest_MarkN_*
I thought that mite be the cause so after re- installation this morning I am going to turn all that stuff off. I know that it also interferes with game patches and other installations. Thanks, I will try it the way you suggest and see what happens. I did have Norton running every time with previous installs so I hope this cures it. I will keep you posted.

Guest_MarkN_*

Guest_MarkN_*
Everything is running perfect now. I just made a new partition and installed Vista Premium and it is working great. :whistling: