Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

External Hard Drive Problem

• Please log in to reply

DameRelent

DameRelent

• Pip
  • 3 posts

I've had this external hard drive for about 6 months and it worked perfectly for about 4-5 of those months. But after awhile it started to stop showing up in My Computer, but if I switched it to a different USB port then it would work. But now, it won't show up at all. The computer makes the little noise notifying me that it detects a USB and the computer recognizes it as a mass storage device, but nothing else. It doesn't show up in My Computer, nor does it show up in Disk Management. The USB cord looks fine and must be working fine since the computer detects it and the power looks to be okay, the drive's light is on and I can feel the disk spinning when I put my hand on the case.
I hope someone can help, because this drive has all my pictures, music, and all my writing material on it.

Edited by DameRelent, 14 July 2007 - 08:00 PM.

Advertisements

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
hi, curiosity killing me, what happens when you try that harddrive on another computer and how many other devices and sharing your usb ports

DameRelent

DameRelent

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

hi, curiosity killing me, what happens when you try that harddrive on another computer and how many other devices and sharing your usb ports

It does the exact same thing when plugged into a different computer.
And I haaave... two printers and a Linksys box sharing the ports.

DameRelent

DameRelent

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Not to be bumping or anything, but just trying to get my post back on the board. ^.^;

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
sorry, I was not intending that as a answer in itself yet for sure if the same thing happens on two or more computer then it is the external drive as opposed to the computer, but before we call it a day, two things, tell me more about what type of external harddrive it is, and is it possible to try a different USB cord with it. A lot of external harddrives are in fact harddrive caddies with a harddrive inside, some are quite easy to open and as such either can be replace at a lot lower cost than buying a new external harddrive. And what about the warranty?