Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Task Manager not appearing

• Please log in to reply

Jack W-H

Jack W-H

• PipPip
  • 86 posts
Hiyas, I'm new, as the topic description suggggests.

OK, so I press control-alt-delete, and BAM! All of a sudden, the little box appears with "Lock Computer", "Log Off", "Shut Down", "Change Password", "Task Manager", and "Cancel" appears as normal. So I click the Task Manager button... WHOOSH! Nothing happens. Box disappears and goes back to where I was.

I know questions extremely similar to this already exist, but none of them helped me.

I've tried all this lot:

1) Going to Run, typing in "taskman", "taskman.exe", nothing happens when clicking OK. I've also tried "task mgr.exe" or something I found on some other forum, but it "couldn't be found".

2) Navigating to C:\WINDOWS\taskman.exe. Running it. Nothing happens. It certainly exists, just isn't running.

Could it be malware or some other horrible, nasty, thing that I should hide behind the sofa because of? Or just some silly error I'm making?

I've got Norton Internet Security 2007, fully updated with a still-going subscription. I've updated all my descriptions and then done a Full System Scan, nothing found. I've got Spybot: Search and Destroy, nothing found. I've got Lavasoft thingy, free edition, nothing found. Hmmmmm. :whistling:

HEEELLLLPP! :blink:

Sorry, that last bit was just an excuse to use that cool "Help!" emoticon.

But anyway, got any ideas? I'm using XP Media Center Edition. I put my system specs in my profile somewhere. Just go look at them for the rest :help:

Thanks.

Advertisements

bar5

bar5

• PipPip
  • 48 posts
"1) Going to Run, typing in "taskman", "taskman.exe", nothing happens when clicking OK. I've also tried "task mgr.exe" or something I found on some other forum, but it "couldn't be found".

Go to Run and type taskmgr.exe and see if that works. No spaces between task and mgr. No spaces at all between any letters.

Barb

Edited by bar5, 15 July 2007 - 10:19 AM.

Jack W-H

Jack W-H

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts

"1) Going to Run, typing in "taskman", "taskman.exe", nothing happens when clicking OK. I've also tried "task mgr.exe" or something I found on some other forum, but it "couldn't be found".

Go to Run and type taskmgr.exe and see if that works. No spaces between task and mgr. No spaces at all between any letters.

Barb

Sorry. No luck. "Windows cannot find taskmgr.exe. Make sure the filename you typed was correct", etc.

bar5

bar5

• PipPip
  • 48 posts
Have you tried AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5 Free? If you do not have it, here is where you can D/L it:

MajorGeeks

Update the definitions file and than scan to see if there is any thing that should not be there.

If you are clean, I would suggest you submit a HiJack-This log in the proper forum and let some experts check it out for you. It would give you peace of mind to know you are clean, just in case something might have installed itself and disabled Task Manager.

The instructions for HJT log are listed in that forum. It can't hurt to do this. I have no other suggestions. Hopefully some one can help you.

Barb

P.S. I forgot about this site Kelly's Korner. One of the most informative site out there. Take a look here, scroll down until you see "Task Manager" and see if any of that info can help you. First click on "T" at top. I tried giving you the link to the "T" page and for some reason it did not work. You will see the ABC etc at top.

Kellys Korner

Best of luck to you. If nothing there, back to HJT log.

Edited by bar5, 15 July 2007 - 02:34 PM.

Jack W-H

Jack W-H

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
OK, I know I haven't been to this thread for a while, but here it is:

http://www.geekstogo...ng-t184693.html

That's the HiJackThis logfile. Enjoy.

Any more help is greatly appreciated :)

Jack W-H

Jack W-H

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
Maybe this image will help. Although it sure doesn't help me. I'm confuzzled. (Image attached).

Even when I run the executable that is blatantly in the Windows\system32 folder, it says it ISN'T there! @!~#!!!

Attached Thumbnails

• tm_error.jpg

Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Ralphie

• Retired Staff
  • 47,710 posts
Please don't make multiple topics.

Somebody will fix your problem in the Malware Removal forum. If they don't then come back here

Firefoxian

Firefoxian

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi,

I'm not sure if this gonna work, but you better give it a shot.
first go to Start>Run, then type: "gpedit.msc".
It'll open the group policy editor, under the User Configuration go to Administrative Templates> System> Ctrl+Alt+Delete Options, now you'll have several options under the settings of Ctrl+Alt+Delete, The first one is "Remove Task Manager" and the state of it should be "Not configured", Double-click on it to open its properties then choose the 3rd option "Disabled", click ok, and try to run it again.

Jack W-H

Jack W-H

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
Thanks Firefoxian for your attempts to help, but there is no "Ctrl+Alt+Del" options in the place you said...

But anyway, I've acc. managed to fix it now with some help from Essexboy. Now I'm just left with the problem of a hanging computer though... :)