Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows/Sygate Problem

• Please log in to reply

sub105

sub105

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Running Windows 98SE on a laptop. Can not access internet except by uninstalling Sygate, running WinsockFix, and installing Sygate. The internet connection works fine until I power down the computer and restart. Then I cannot access the internet again. When I uninstall Sygate and run WinsockFix I still can not access the interenet before reinstalling Sygate.
Any suggestions

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
While you are able to connect, download an older version of the free ZoneAlarm that's compatible with Win98SE. It's on this page:
http://www.oldversio...am.php?n=zalarm

Click on the version 6.1.744.1 (higher versions are not compatible).
First remove Sygate, then install ZoneAlarm. Confirm you are still able to connect, and if yes, reboot and check again.

This suggestion is based entirely on the possibility that Sygate firewall may be the cause of the problem, so my apologies if it doesn't solve it.

Edited by pip22, 15 July 2007 - 01:32 PM.

sub105

sub105

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Somehow my reply seems to have been lost. So here it is again. When I uninstall Sygate and reboot I am still not able to connect. I do not believe installing Zone Alarm will solve this, but of course I could be wrong. I believe this is caused somehow by the Windows files.