Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help Needed Fixing Badly Behaving Fonts

• Please log in to reply

TStodden

TStodden

• Pip
  • 5 posts
This has been going for quiet some time, but I haven't had any success fixing it myself... so I come here for assistance.

For some reason, my computer has been a little... temperamental with with displaying fonts in certain windows. From installers to games & even trying to print from Firefox I get nothing but boxes that are supposed to be letters.

This issue has varied from annoying to frustrating, especially in some games where all the text is nothing but for stupid boxes.

To add to the confusion, when I try to view my own webpages offline in Opera... It's all in Greek text!!!

Is there anything that I can do to fix this problem without reinstalling (or upgrading) Windows?

Any assistance on this issue would be greatly appreciated!

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Some of the vital font files in the Windows/Fonts folder are either missing or corrupted. A re-install of Windows is the only sure way of curing that I'm afraid.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
One could try running Scandisk as well, but it's more likely a re-install is needed.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Might try this utility:

Fix Fonts Folder 2.0

Ron

TStodden

TStodden

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I'll try the Fix Fonts Folder utility first as Norton Disk Doctor (which I use in place of ScanDisk) hasn't done anything.

If that doesn't work, I'll just have to back up everything I want to save (note to self: get a large external HD) & reinstall Windows Me or find the needed drivers & upgrade to XP.

This problem is something that I can live with as it only affects some programs, but it would be very nice if I can get rid of it completely.

Thanks for your assistance!

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Hope the font fixer works for you. Just a thought, but do you have a System Restore point early enough where all was working that you can revert back to? Trying to remember if Win ME has CAB folder where you can extract a new set of fonts into Windows' font folder. Extract.exe is a command-line-driven DOS program that can be used, but I don't remember how to extract the specific files you need. I know how to start the command from the MS-DOS prompt, but that's it. Maybe someone else remembers how to get the specific fonts from point A to Point B. lol.

Ron

TStodden

TStodden

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
The Font Fixer didn't work as intended, but it did point me in the right direction. I just had to remove the offending fonts out of the font folder (which were redundancies) to fix the problem.

I don't place a lot of faith in System Restore as it has flawless record of failing on me.

Thanks for all your assistance here!

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
That's good to know that Font Fixer was good for something. LOL Should have thought of duplicate fonts in Font folder though.

I would do a Disk Cleanup of all Restore Points except the latest one which you should make. They have been a life saver if kept current.

Ron