Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

2 operating systems

• Please log in to reply

realapp

realapp

• PipPipPip
  • 338 posts
when XP starts to load it goes to the DOS screen and says which Operating System do you want to load?. It lists XP as both. Is it possible to have 2 operating systems, and if so, what is the easiest, safest way to get rid of one? I don't think I need/want 2 on there.Thanks!

If this helps, here is the boot.ini info

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect

Edited by realapp, 14 July 2007 - 04:53 PM.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi realapp...

The boot.ini shows that you have Windows installed on two partitions. It also shows that the default operating system is the one on the C: drive. Do you have a Windows folder on a drive other than the C: drive?

Click Start, then Run, type %windir% and click "Ok". What folder opens? Is it C:\Windows?

Armed with this information, we can proceed with removing one of the systems from your machine and rid you of the prompt for which to start.

wannabe1

realapp

realapp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 338 posts
It opens up a Windows folder when that says "these files are hidden" You should not modify it's contents

When I clicked on show hidden files, it appears to be the C drive

Edited by realapp, 14 July 2007 - 05:45 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Is there also a Windows folder on the D: drive?

Open Control Panel and double click the "System" icon. If you don't see the icon, click the link on the left to "Swich to Classic View" and it should appear. In the System Properties window, click the "Advanced" tab. In the "Startup and Recovery" section, click the "Settings" button. In the window that opens, click the "Edit" button...and notepad window (boot.ini) will open. Remove the line shown in red below, click File (on the toolbar) and choose "Save". Close all open windows and reboot...it should boot straight to Windows without the prompt.

Let me know about any other Windows folder you might find...we only want to keep the one on the C: drive.

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect

realapp

realapp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 338 posts
I sucessfully removed it, but not sure how to tell if there are other Windows folders. The d drive is my dvd and I don't believe there are any other drives, other than the floppy.

Edited by realapp, 14 July 2007 - 06:55 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
There may not be any other Windows folder...just the reference in the boot.ini.

Did the machine boot as it should? No prompt?

realapp

realapp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 338 posts
yeah, it booted in normal windows mode this time. Now just running slow at times. But I have a different topic for that. So just waiting to see what they say about my panda scan. Thanks soooo much for your help!!!

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
My pleasure! :whistling: