Thanks for the reply. I'm going to do that tonite (install internal). I read a TON of info today posted about this problem. Strange that all of the posts I read had systems with ATI graphics cards (as do I). I wasn't sure if there were any drive size limitation issues involved or not. Other suggestions were to change the drive cache settings. Most of the posts dealt with 1394 cases, but mine is eSATA, SATA I, SATA II & USB 2.0. But it seems to be a pretty large problem for folks. I've never encountered this in all my years computing. I use Diskeeper 2007 and was wondering if that had any contribute to the problem? Its flawless with all my internals as well as external drives, but none are larger than 250 or 300 GB.
Sorry about diving into your post, but just wondered how you went?
I have had similar problems with my WD 500Gig e-SATA/USB MyBook external hard drive when connected via the (non supplied with drive) e-SATA connection. My ASUS P5L 1394 Mobo has an integrated e-SATA connector, so I figured I didn't need to have a controller card or PCI slot style SATA to e-SATA converter for such a simplistic connection.
My graphics card is an NVidia 8600GT, so I doubt there's any correlation between the graphics controller and the write (read) problems when connected via e-SATA.
Does your drive work perfectly fine when connected via USB? Mine works flawlessly via USB, but every time I try to copy to or write from the MyBook when connected via e-SATA, I experience the system lockups after only a few seconds (even micro-seconds) of blazingly fast data transfer... very frustrating!
The above behaviour is exhibited under WinXP Pro (SP2 installed) and WinXP 64bit (all updates installed), which leads me to believe that the problem may be more hardware related... Perhaps a faulty e-SATA cable - but if that was the case, the drive wouldn't be recognised in the first instance and there's no time lag during Windows (on either XP Pro or 64bit - seperate drives BTW so not much chance of OS corruption on both disks) boot up to indicate that the drive is performing incorrectly.
I did receive a BSOD one single time from a WinXP Pro session whilst connected via e-SATA... which pinpointed the MMPOOL.DLL as being at fault, but I haven't seen the same error again, despite the e-SATA problem persisting in both XP Pro and XP 64bit.
Hopefully your problem has been solved... but if it is very similar to the difficulties I'm experiencing - I don't suspect it's gonna be an easy fix.
In the mean time my WD MyBook is running fine via USB - but I'd like the e-SATA performance I paid for, as I'm sure you do too!