Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Windiows Delayed Write Failure

• Please log in to reply

symbaman

symbaman

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi .. and thanks for the help. I just bought a WD 500 GB 7200 RPM SATA Drive. It's in an external eSATA I, II and USB 2.0 case. In doing backups I get intermittent errors of Delayed Write Failure and the drive disappears from Windows Explorer. It will be copying fine, then get interrupted. Both drive and case are new. I actually bought two of the WD 500 GB drives and the 1st drive formatted flawlessly. 2nd drive failed in formatting, but was fine 2nd time. I suspect the external case both in the formatting and the delayed write errors.

Anyone have any clues as to the origin of the problem? I've used many external cases and types over the years but have never run across this error before. (The error is happening on BOTH drives when used in that external enclosure.

Thanks ..

win XP Pro
SP2
Dell Dimension 9100
P4 3 GHZ cpu
Intel 945 chipset
1 GB RAM
(2) 160 gb SATA drives
1 320 gb SATA drive

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,839 posts
Hi symbaman, welcome to Geeks to Go! My suggestion would be to try using both drives in your computer (internally), if they both work fine then your external case is faulty and needs to be replaced.

symbaman

symbaman

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks for the reply. I'm going to do that tonite (install internal). I read a TON of info today posted about this problem. Strange that all of the posts I read had systems with ATI graphics cards (as do I). I wasn't sure if there were any drive size limitation issues involved or not. Other suggestions were to change the drive cache settings. Most of the posts dealt with 1394 cases, but mine is eSATA, SATA I, SATA II & USB 2.0. But it seems to be a pretty large problem for folks. I've never encountered this in all my years computing. I use Diskeeper 2007 and was wondering if that had any contribute to the problem? Its flawless with all my internals as well as external drives, but none are larger than 250 or 300 GB.

Thanks

Steve_C

Steve_C

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Thanks for the reply. I'm going to do that tonite (install internal). I read a TON of info today posted about this problem. Strange that all of the posts I read had systems with ATI graphics cards (as do I). I wasn't sure if there were any drive size limitation issues involved or not. Other suggestions were to change the drive cache settings. Most of the posts dealt with 1394 cases, but mine is eSATA, SATA I, SATA II & USB 2.0. But it seems to be a pretty large problem for folks. I've never encountered this in all my years computing. I use Diskeeper 2007 and was wondering if that had any contribute to the problem? Its flawless with all my internals as well as external drives, but none are larger than 250 or 300 GB.

Thanks

Sorry about diving into your post, but just wondered how you went?

I have had similar problems with my WD 500Gig e-SATA/USB MyBook external hard drive when connected via the (non supplied with drive) e-SATA connection. My ASUS P5L 1394 Mobo has an integrated e-SATA connector, so I figured I didn't need to have a controller card or PCI slot style SATA to e-SATA converter for such a simplistic connection.

My graphics card is an NVidia 8600GT, so I doubt there's any correlation between the graphics controller and the write (read) problems when connected via e-SATA.

Does your drive work perfectly fine when connected via USB? Mine works flawlessly via USB, but every time I try to copy to or write from the MyBook when connected via e-SATA, I experience the system lockups after only a few seconds (even micro-seconds) of blazingly fast data transfer... very frustrating!

The above behaviour is exhibited under WinXP Pro (SP2 installed) and WinXP 64bit (all updates installed), which leads me to believe that the problem may be more hardware related... Perhaps a faulty e-SATA cable - but if that was the case, the drive wouldn't be recognised in the first instance and there's no time lag during Windows (on either XP Pro or 64bit - seperate drives BTW so not much chance of OS corruption on both disks) boot up to indicate that the drive is performing incorrectly.

I did receive a BSOD one single time from a WinXP Pro session whilst connected via e-SATA... which pinpointed the MMPOOL.DLL as being at fault, but I haven't seen the same error again, despite the e-SATA problem persisting in both XP Pro and XP 64bit.

Hopefully your problem has been solved... but if it is very similar to the difficulties I'm experiencing - I don't suspect it's gonna be an easy fix.

In the mean time my WD MyBook is running fine via USB - but I'd like the e-SATA performance I paid for, as I'm sure you do too!

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,839 posts
eSATA means the computer recognises it as another "internal" hard drive. It's possible the eSATA port on the motherboard is no good, have you got an internal SATA connector spare? If not try this.

Another question, is the WD mybook self powered or does it rely on the computer's PSU?

Steve_C

Steve_C

• Pip
  • 5 posts

eSATA means the computer recognises it as another "internal" hard drive. It's possible the eSATA port on the motherboard is no good, have you got an internal SATA connector spare? If not try this.

Another question, is the WD mybook self powered or does it rely on the computer's PSU?

Thanks for the reply! I also have figured that the e-SATA port on the motherboard may well be 'cactus', because it's unlikely that a WinXP specific problem would be replicated almost exactly under WinXP 64bit... which sorta rules out an OS specific issue. Of course, it's also a possibility that the e-SATA cable may be at fault.

When using the e-SATA connection and cable, the WD MyBook drive is found and shown in the boot up table, so it just seemed less likely to be the cable rather than the ASUS on-board e-SATA connector.

It's almost like everything is as it should be - namely the drive is detected at start-up, and the OS correctly identifies the drive, with Windows Disk Management showing the drive and the partition as fully functional and 'healthy'... but the instant any real load is put on the componentry; namely during a full read and write session - everything comes to a complete stop after those few high speed bursts of data transfer.

This of course doesn't happen with the drive connected via USB - so I can't see the actual drive as being the problem.

I've tossed up the possibility of a e-SATA to SATA face plate like the one you linked to as a solution, so thanks for giving me some idea of the specific brand to look for!

BTW; the WD MyBook has it's own power supply, so I doubt there's an issue there.

I just love solving these 'puter hardware issues - NOT! It's like tracing electrical problems in motor cars... a real pain!

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,839 posts
It's just a cheap example, I don't know if it will fix your problem or not. When your drive is connected as eSATA, what transfer mode is registered?

Steve_C

Steve_C

• Pip
  • 5 posts

It's just a cheap example, I don't know if it will fix your problem or not. When your drive is connected as eSATA, what transfer mode is registered?

I'm not sure what you mean by "what transfer mode is registered"?

The BIOS setting for the e-SATA connection is set to IDE. I did try the only other BIOS setting which from memory is ACHP or something similar, but the drive wasn't recognised under that mode.

To all intents and purposes, the MyBook appears to Windows (both XP Pro and 64bit) as if it's a 'standard' SATA drive when connected via e-SATA...

Under Windows Disk Management, the MyBook appears as "Drive 3". I did do a fast format at one point, and it worked fine; which got my hopes up, until I actually tried copying a HDV file to it...

I've adjusted all other settings such as "Allow indexing services" and "Disk Caching" from on to off and back again without any effect.

It's almost as if the data channel freezes once data reaches a particular point, regardless of the file being copyied or read - with the internal drives going into a 'logic loop'... constantly repeating the same process - while the MyBook also displays repetitive drive activity, but the OS is frozen. Control-Alt-Delete brings up system processes, but once accessed... the Desktop icons disappear and total OS failure ensues, requiring a hard re-boot, which generally leads to corruption of the file allocation table on the MyBook, and I suspect some errors on the drives containing the OS's.

That's why I decided to revert to using the MyBook in USB mode, as it's perfectly stable... but it's just not the mode and performance i bought the drive to achieve.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,839 posts
If you right-click on My Computer, select Manage, then open the Device Manager. Click the [+] sign next to IDE/ATAPI controllers and select the channel your MyBook is connected to, and then right-click it and select Properties. If you then click on the Advanced Settings tab, it will have information on the transfer mode.

Steve_C

Steve_C

• Pip
  • 5 posts

If you right-click on My Computer, select Manage, then open the Device Manager. Click the [+] sign next to IDE/ATAPI controllers and select the channel your MyBook is connected to, and then right-click it and select Properties. If you then click on the Advanced Settings tab, it will have information on the transfer mode.

The boot table reports the MyBook drive as "Ultra DMA - Mode 5".

Windows Device Manager only shows the following under IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers:

Intel 82801G (ICH7 Family) Ultra ATA Storage Controllers -27DF
Intel 82801GB (ICH7 Family) Serial ATA Storage Controller - 27C0
Primary IDE Channel
Primary IDE Channel
Secondary IDE Channel
Secondary IDE Channel

Unfortunately, there's no way that I can detect which channel the WD MyBook is on! I can tell from the 'Advanced Properties' tab for the Primary and Secondary IDE Channels, that my DVD-ROM and DVD-RW drives are on the second Primary IDE channel and first Secondary IDE channel respectively, but I have no idea which channel my Seagate 120Gig C: drive (disk 0) and Seagate 80Gig H: drive (disk 1) are actually on. My 240Gig RAID 0 array is run through a Promise PCI controller card - so it won't show as being attached to any of the IDE Channels or ATA Controllers...

There is one PIO mode Device operating and one as DMA mode 2, but I'd be certain that they're the DVD-ROM and DVD-RW. The remaining two devices listed for the IDE Channels; both Primary and Secondary, are Ultra DMA mode 5... If my logic serves me well enough; I'd conclude that the two remaining devices are the internally connected SATA drives - which means the onboard e-SATA connection may be somehow missing... but the WD drive is still showing correctly in Device Manager!

Device Manager shows the WD MyBook as "SATA WD SCSI Disk Device" under the "Disk Drives" listing. Everything for the drive under it's properties in Device Manager appears to be functioning correctly.

Of course; the drive still exhibits the same annoying behaviour when connected via e-SATA...

Steve_C

Steve_C

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Well; I sort of got the bludger running under WinXP 64bit... took 60 minutes to copy a 3.6Gig folder of 3D models, scenes and images from the RAID array.

The same folder takes just on 3 minutes to copy when connected via USB!

What the! e-SATA is supposed to be FAST!

There's no need to reply any further... I'm going to use the MyBook in USB bloody mode, and if I decide at some point down the track to give e-SATA another go, it'll be with a e-SATA to SATA face plate connector and a chassis that'll take whatever drive I decide to whack in it!

I'm not admitting defeat - just admitting that the way e-SATA is implimented in my particular case on this particular ASUS motherboard... USB craps all over the supposed 3Gig interface.

Enjoy!

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,839 posts

My 240Gig RAID 0 array is run through a Promise PCI controller card - so it won't show as being attached to any of the IDE Channels or ATA Controllers...

These will be shown under the heading "SCSI and RAID controllers" of the Device Manager.

There is one PIO mode Device operating and one as DMA mode 2, but I'd be certain that they're the DVD-ROM and DVD-RW

Sounds like one of your drives has had some errors, see if you can get it running back at DMA mode 2 again.

took 60 minutes to copy a 3.6Gig folder of 3D models, scenes and images from the RAID array

Definitely sounds like something's wrong, I would call a faulty component. (Although the question is which bit?)

There's no need to reply any further...

Ummm, okay, I won't! :whistling: If I were you, I would try a bracket cable, it's only a few dollars, and if it still doesn't work try it on a mates machine. All done and still no go, you've got a faulty drive.