Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wireless Zero Configuration

• Please log in to reply

Clueless101

Clueless101

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
running with xp pro and recently got that new BT Home Hub from the annoying advert... installed on the main family pc and everything seems to be working fine but stupidly started to install it on my own pc... then changed my mind as i didnt want all the BT software etc, just needed to be able to access the wireless.'
now... everytime i turn the pc on i cant seem to get a wireless conection as 'Windows cannot configure this wireless connection'

And it tells me to see article 871122 in the Microsoft knowledge Base on Microsoft.com web site to find out more about the Wireless Zero Configuration. I looked at the web site. And it told me to do the following:

If your computer or your wireless network adapter did not come with its own wireless network software, follow these steps:

1.Click Start, click Run, type ncpa.cpl, and then click OK.
2.Click Network Connections.
3.In Network Connections, click to select your wireless connection, and then click Change settings of this connection.
4.On the Wireless Networks tab, click to select the Use Windows to configure my wireless network settings check box.

In step four it talks about a Wireless Networks tab. I don’t see a Wireless Network tab.

so... i installed the BT disk on this pc aswell thinking that that would be a quick and easy way out of the problem... and i could get online using the BT software to find me a connection... apparently not.

so... in order to get an internet connection i have to put the Bt disk in the pc, load it up and pretend that i want to reinstall the software... wait for it to connect me to the network and then cancel the setup... so i get on the internet.

what the [bleep] have i done?!? haha and how can i get it so that windows is back in charge of all my wireless connections or at least so that i dont have to use the disk to get online everytime. thanks

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
You install the BT software only on the PC which is connected by wire to the Bt home hub. If you then wish to connect wirelessly to the hub from another PC, you have to buy and fit a wireless adaptor to that PC (it can either be an easy 'plug-in' USB adaptor or an internal wireless card, or if it's for a laptop, a push-in wireless card which fits in a dedicated cardbus slot).

You then first install the software (usually, but check the instructions) that's supplied with that network adaptor (not the bt software), insert the adaptor when prompted, and when the installation is complete you use that software's wireless configuration utility to setup the wireless adaptor for communicating with the hub.

Edited by pip22, 15 July 2007 - 01:04 PM.

Clueless101

Clueless101

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
no no no... haha i didnt make it clear lol. iv already had wireless... this is about my 6th network ha, never had this problem before. i dont really know 100% what im doing with all this stuff but im capable... i set up all the other networks and i built the pc from scratch. i understand.
i have a netgear wireless dongle and the other pc i want to connect has a belkin pci card. both were fully functional before i used BT. neither pc are connected to the homehub via cable... both are wireless. the other pc is working fine and can get online although there does appear to be some conflice between the BT and Windows software as to which gets to find and connect to the signal each time the pc is turned on and off. but thats fine, i just have to change the settings to make windows in charge. i dont mind that although a little annoying.
its this other pc that wont connect at all unless i use the disk that i have the issue with.

ClickRight

ClickRight

• PipPipPip
  • 109 posts

so... in order to get an internet connection i have to put the Bt disk in the pc, load it up and pretend that i want to reinstall the software... wait for it to connect me to the network and then cancel the setup... so i get on the internet.

Try letting the install finish, then restart and remove the application from the Control Panel. Most applications like this reside in the system tray, and you can right-click on them and allow windows to manage the connection.