Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows cant boot, black screen right before login

• Please log in to reply

Punker1234

Punker1234

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hello. Thanks in advance for reading this or taking any time to offer me help in this thread, it's truly appreciated. I've never ran into this problem before but maybe its just a quick fix.

First off, the only way I can get my comp to boot is in Safe mode. In maybe the last month or so, i'd have a few issues with booting up, but i'd ignore it and restart and 99% of the time it would be boot up perfectly. Then I started getting an error when windows would boot, but mention something regarding checking the disk to make sure its functional. I forgot the actual name of it, and it hasn't come up again since.

I guess its pretty simple to explain. I'll boot up my computer, it will run through BIOS and then go to the Windows XP loading screen. It will go through the Windows loading screen like normal, and the screen after that will be the login screen for the users, but it never gets there. The screen just stays black and the computer stays on. I check the HDD light and no activity once the screen goes black so I'm not sure. I even noticed that the Num lock light on my keyboard stays off.

Is there a way to run that windows program that checks the disks to make sure one isn't defective? Could it be a virus or malware? I should mention I'm on RAID0. Thanks! -Jeff

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi Punker1234...

CHKDSK is what you're after.

From Safe Mode:
Click Start, then Run, type cmd and press Enter. In the Command Session window, type chkdsk /r and press Enter. You will be advised that the drive is busy and asked if you want this to run on the next boot. Type Y and press Enter. Type exit and press Enter. Reboot. (If you are prompted for the Administrator password and you have not set one, just press "Enter")

From the XP CD:
Boot to the cd. At the "Welcome to Setup" screen, press R, and press Enter. Select the operating system you wish to repair by number and press Enter. When prompted for the Administrator password, just press Enter...unless, of course, you have set the password. At the command prompt, type chkdsk /r and press Enter. If chkdsk does not start right after doing this, type exit and press Enter (do this if you end up back at the command prompt after chkdsk completes, too).

This is a very thorough check of the HDD...be patient. It can take over an hour to complete and may take considerably longer if it finds much amiss on the drive...it's important to let it complete.

wannabe1

Punker1234

Punker1234

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
So I've ran into a few more problems. Basically the Chkdsk freezes whenever the computer boots up. I eventually played with the safe mode options, think I hit a debugging mode options and i finally got the chkdsk to run. Everything was fine, however when I try and boot up my computer regularly it always does the chkdsk and then in turn that freezes my computer. Again, I can only get the chkdsk to work while in another safe mode option.

Its funny, because while trying to load regular safe mode or safe mode with networking, it freezes too while loading some of the files. Only way I got on was some weird advanced version, debugging version of safe mode. Any ideas? I would think if a drive was going that i wouldn't be able to get on, or the comp just would boot. Could it be a virus that messed with my boot.ini or something? Thanks again for the help. -Jeff