Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New harddrive installation, SATA/IDE question

• Please log in to reply

ksco

ksco

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hello everyone. I have a new PC with a SATA harddrive. I want to add the harddrive from my old pc as a secondary drive to this new machine. The old drive is IDE, the drive in the new machine is SATA. On the back of the SATA drive in the new pc, it says "Using both the SATA power connector and Legacy power connector may cause unpredictable results."

Is it safe to install the old harddrive on this new pc? Also, I noticed there are no pins on the SATA drive to set it to master.

There is an open IDE jack on the motherboard that I was planning on connecting the IDE harddrive to. I want to make sure I do this correctly. The IDE cable I was planning on using has three connectors: "CPU Board", "Slave" (in the middle of the cable), and "master". Even though I don't want the IDE to be the master drive, should I still connect it to the master connector since it is the only device on the cable?

I hope all this makes since! I'm new to SATA so please excuse my ignorance.

Thanks in advance

Advertisements

hudihoo

hudihoo

• PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
Sata doesn't use master and slave. there are no jumpers on sata. The power issue stated on the sata drive refers to not using molex and sata power on the same drive. You just need to connect the ide hard drive and then go into bios and make the sata the first bootable hard drive.

ksco

ksco

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Awesome, thanks!