Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CAN'T CONNECT TO INTERNET

• Please log in to reply

Woman

Woman

• PipPip
  • 90 posts
A few days ago, it poured rain. Both my laptop and stationary lost connections to internet. My ISP said it was their fault. A few hours later, I could get online - sometimes - on my laptop but not at all on my stationary. Since then, I've been online on both.

Last night, I was online then shut down as usual. This morning, I get a 'no connection' message on my laptop. The stationary works fine.

The hitch: Before calling my ISP, I tried finding out if the sudden disconnect was on my end. I clicked around on my laptop... a dangerous thing when you don't know what you're doing. I've turned the router off and on, removed and reloaded my Gigabyte wireless drivers, got an error message on my TCP/IP and spent literally hours today trying to get back online.

Any ideas, anyone?

Thanks in advance!

Advertisements

jp393

jp393

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Although this only happened once, I had to fully reset my router once and update all the drivers.
Also check the lights on your modem.. It could be your internet provider.

Afterwards go to Start/run and type Cmd

The type IPconfig/release
and then
ipconfig/renew

Let me know how everything goes

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
Lets try and see whether you have equipment related problems. In this step, we will allow the equipment to self-diagnose and resolve the problems.

If you suddenly lose connectivity over your High Speed Internet line, have a slow connection or are unable to browse the Internet despite indications that you are connected, it is possible that your modem is not communicating properly with the Internet network.

Save all your current work, close all open applications, then shut down your computer/s ...unplug router and modem...wait 2 minutes

Power up the modem first and after it gets initialized and all the lites are steady..
power up the router...after all the lites are on...
power up the computer

The above steps should take care of your problem

no joy then try this..

TCP/IP stack repair options for use with Windows XP with SP2.

For these commands click on Start.... Run..... type in...CMD ....press enter....to open a command prompt box

Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults...type in ... netsh winsock reset catalog .... press ...enter

Reset TCP/IP stack to installation defaults...type in...... netsh int ip reset reset.log ... press ...enter