Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

No Sound...

• Please log in to reply

smittyd

smittyd

• PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
I just put another motherboard in my computer. The audio is on the motherboard. It's Realtek. But I can't play any music. The device manager says there is no audio device installed. But there is a Realtek test page . When I call up the page and run a few of the audio examples, or test , I guess, the test music comes out of my external speakers. But again, there is no sound through me external spaeker when I play music. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks...

Smittyd

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi smittyd...

Have you installed all your motherboard drivers? The audio drivers as well as all the others should be on the cd that came with your new motherboard.

Have a look in Device Manager. Right click on My Computer and choose "Properties". Click the "Hardware" tab, then the "Device Manager" button. Do any of the devices in the list have a yellow ! or ? displayed next to them?

wannabe1

smittyd

smittyd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
A little more info: My OS is XP. My new motherboard is an ASUS P5N-E SLI. Thanks...

Smittyd

smittyd

smittyd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
Thanks for the quick reply. No, there are no yellow indicators anywhere. I've loaded the CD that came with motherboard.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Open Control Panel and double-click on the "Sounds and Audio Devices" icon.

Under the "Sounds" tab, select "Windows default" in the Sounds Scheme drop down menu.

Under the "Audio" tab, make sure that your new Sound device is listed in the top two sections...if not, select it from the drop down menu.

Under the "Voice" tab, make sure that your new Sound device is listed in both boxes...if not, select it.

Under the "Volume" tab, put a tick in the box to "Place volume icon in the taskbar".

Click "Apply" and then "Ok".

Now look down by the clock...is there a little speaker there? If yes, double-click on it and make sure there is not a tick in the box next to "Mute" and that the Volume sliders are all set to at least halfway.

Reboot

Sound?

smittyd

smittyd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
Thanks again. Last night I loaded the drivers. But I guess the sound didn't take. So just a few minutes ago I loaded the drivers again and this time it must have took. I have sound now.
I really appreciate your suggestions. Thanks...

Smittyd

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Glad to help! :whistling: