Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Prompting a usb device

• Please log in to reply

bogged

bogged

• PipPip
  • 35 posts
I hope I've posted this in the right place.

I'm trying to get my pc to recognise my mobile phone when I connect with usb. I have the driver (downloaded from the manafactures site) sitting in a folder ready to be used.

But when I connect the phone with the usb...the cursor turns to an hour glass for a second or two and then that's it. It doesn't launch into "found new hardware, now searching for software etc. etc."

I have the driver ready to go, but plugging the phone in doesn't do anything....what now??

Advertisements

vally

vally

• PipPipPip
  • 590 posts
I have a few questions to try and understand.
Based on what your profile you are running windws 98.

After you connect the phone to the computer right click on My Computer -> properties -> hardware (tab). Does it recognize the usb device at all? If it does then doubble click on it and choose update driver...

The driver you have is it an exe that is for win98? If so then try to run the file before you connect the phone.

Can you give us more information about your computer and the cellphone

ViprXX

ViprXX

• PipPipPip
  • 172 posts
try plugging the phone in then right-clicking "My Computer" icon and clicking Properties then click on the Hardware tab in the new window and click the Device Manager button and find your phone in the list (should have an exclamation mark next to it) then once you found it, Right-click it and choose "Update Driver..." and point it to the driver you have downloaded. Unless the driver you downloaded is a .exe then you can just double click it to run it's setup program.

good luck

bogged

bogged

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
Thanks for your help people.

I'm running win98se. The driver came from the manafacturers site. It's the last link on the page. http://www.zte.com.a...t/downloads.htm I have downloaded it into my pictures, and it doesn't seem to be an .exe file.

So I plug the phone in and do what you both said. In the device manager tab, I find what looks like the phone when I expand the "ports (COM & LPT) . The two lines that are related to my phone are...ZTE diagnostics interface 6000... and ZTE NMEA decice.

If I select either line and update driver, iot says it's running the best driver already.

Am I better off trying to download a mass storage device driver? I Have had luck doing this for a different phone before.

I'm truly out of my depth here...so good luckand good karma to anyone that can help me...

vally

vally

• PipPipPip
  • 590 posts
If it is a usb device the you should look unter that header.
lookin under "ports LPT & COM" is in the wrong place.

This wa was on the download page

Important Note: To install the Software listed below you need to have either Service Pack 2 (SP2) for WinXP installed or Service Pack 4 for Win2K (Windows 2000). These service packs are required as they install / update core elements of the operating systems that our products (and others) require to be installed and function.

These drivers do not support win98 at all.
If you can post the make and model of the motherboard and of teh cell phone it can help us find something suitable if possoble.
If you dont know you can download everest here. It will give you all the infomation and then you can post it.

bogged

bogged

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
Thanks people. Here is the Everest log...I hope it helps... The phone is a ZTE 252.

Computer:
Operating System Microsoft Windows 98 SE
OS Service Pack -
DirectX 4.09.00.0904 (DirectX 9.0c)
Computer Name BOGGED
User Name bogged

Motherboard:
CPU Type Intel Pentium III, 450 MHz (4.5 x 100)
Motherboard Name Compaq Deskpro EN Series
Motherboard Chipset Intel 82440BX/ZX
System Memory 256 MB (SDRAM)
BIOS Type Compaq (02/08/99)
Communication Port Communications Port (COM1)
Communication Port Communications Port (COM2)
Communication Port ECP Printer Port (LPT1)

Display:
Video Adapter ATI 3D Rage Pro (atir3) (8 MB)
3D Accelerator ATI 3D-Rage Pro
Monitor Compaq S700 [17" CRT] (925CD61VC705)

Multimedia:
Audio Adapter ESS ES1869 AudioDrive
Audio Adapter ESS Integrated Audio Controller

Storage:
IDE Controller Intel 82371AB/EB PCI Bus Master IDE Controller
IDE Controller Primary IDE controller (dual fifo)
IDE Controller Secondary IDE controller (dual fifo)
Floppy Drive GENERIC NEC FLOPPY DISK
Disk Drive GENERIC IDE DISK TYPE01
Optical Drive ATAPI COMBO52XMAX
Optical Drive COMPAQ CD-ROM CR-589 (32x CD-ROM)
SMART Hard Disks Status OK

Partitions:
C: (FAT32) 29568 MB (22046 MB free)

Input:
Keyboard Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural Keyboard
Mouse HID-compliant mouse
Mouse PS/2 Compatible Mouse Port

Network:
Network Adapter Intel 82557-based Integrated Fast Ethernet (192.168.1.100)
Network Adapter PPP Adapter.
Modem Standard 56000 bps V90 Modem

Peripherals:
USB1 Controller Intel 82371AB/EB PIIX4 - USB Host Controller
USB Device USB Human Interface Device

vally

vally

• PipPipPip
  • 590 posts
I'm sorry to say that the cell phone is not compatible with your Operating System.
Here is a copy of the manual for your phone. I says on page 46 that it is not compatible with win 98 / 95 or ME.

To connect you need to upgrade the computer.

bogged

bogged

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
Ahh bugger. Thanks vally and everyone for your help. Bout time to upgrade the pc I suppose.

Thanks again,
Bogged