Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer won't install an update.

• Please log in to reply

Fox07

Fox07

• PipPip
  • 77 posts
For the past few days it says there is an update available and it will update my computer when I turn it off - but for some reason it can't install this update and I am worried in case its a critical one and also worried as to why it won't install. Also my system restore has stopped working, don't know if the two are connected or not. I have AVG anti-virus which hasn't picked anything up. I also ran the housecall online antivirus this morning and it picked a few bits of malware up which it got rid of but it also said this.

Posted Image

And this is the update that it can't update. :whistling:

Posted Image

Can anybody help me throw any light on it please. :blink:

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Presumably you know that the two screenshots are referring to two different security updates?

Regarding the Net Framework update, you could try downloading/installing it manually from here:
http://www.microsoft...;DisplayLang=en

Make sure you temporarily disable any realtime antivirus or anti-spyware protection when installing it, as many MS updates can fall over when either of these are running during installation.

Fox07

Fox07

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
Yes I think the first one is something in my computer that shouldn't be there isn't it judging by what the housecall scan said about it being a detected vulnerability? :whistling:

I have tried doing the update the way you said but it still won't do it. :blink: This is what it said:-

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Fox07, 15 July 2007 - 01:32 PM.

Fox07

Fox07

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
I have also had this sort of problem with an Apple update - it says it needs to install but won't do it and says that the resource is being used in another location or something. It won't even let me remove Apple software from my computer and re-install it. :whistling:

Kniht

Kniht

• PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
I had the same problem.

The fix: Uninstall Net Framework 1.1, then reinstall and the update will take.

Kniht

Kniht

• PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
I had the same problem.

The fix: Uninstall Net Framework 1.1, then reinstall and the update will take.

Fox07

Fox07

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
Hi and thanks ever so much for your help but could you tell me where I could re-install it from cos I'm a bit thick with computers. :whistling:

Fox07

Fox07

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
Oh it's okay I think I have found it on the microsoft site - will let you know if it works. :whistling:

Thanks also to Pip22 for your help - it's much appreciated. :blink: