Now, since I've started to use it again, I've noticed that it will just spontaneously restart, usually when I'm in the middle of doing something (but it's not always the same thing). I've unclicked the automatic restart button on the system failure menu, and it hasn't had an error yet.
A few things, perhaps, of significance:
1) At first I thought it was IE, because I always got an error message that said "Internet Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close." So I downloaded Firefox and started to use it. I recently updated IE to IE7 or whatever is the latest version.
2) I got a couple of error messages about Win32 encountering a problem and needing to close, with a .dll extension in the error message.
3) Usually, after a restart, it will say something to the effect of "Windows has recovered from a serious problem"
4) A friend recently downloaded iTunes and synced her iPod to my computer. And since then I've uninstalled iTunes and the Apple Device Update Manager.
5) My Norton had expired and I uninstalled it. I'm using AVG 7 now.
6) When I look in the event viewer, the only Errors I see are with the Automatic update--i have dsl internet and it goes down a bit, and the errors say something about not being able to connect to the internet.
7) I recently installed new software on my computer (Scrapbook Max) but as far as I can tell, none of the other users have had this issue.
My computer is running Windows XP
What do I need to do?
Thanks in advance!