Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Net framework 2.0 help PLEASE

• Please log in to reply

kaytee576

kaytee576

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
Hi, I am not sure if this is in the right section hope so :whistling:
Well I have been having a total nightmare with my updates on my computer and it was always net framework updates that kept failing for months, so I took a deep breath and uninstalled my net framework 2.0 and re installed and updates were sucessfull :help:
But I wondered what is this net frame work for? is it majorly important? And a while back I uninstalled 1.0 version is this needed?
Then to top it off I see 3.0 is released :blink: AHHHH

Which versions do I need for windows XP? thanks xx

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
You only need one version of net framework installed at any one time as each successive version is an improvement over the previous one --- exactly which version you need to have (of the three that are available) depends on the application which needs it -- and that should be made clear on that applications requirements information. In most cases, when you purchase a program that needs it, the correct version of it is included with that program on the CD anyway, and gets installed automatically.

Now, only certain applications or programs need the Net Framework -- it isn't required for running Windows which is why it isn't supplied with Windows. I only have one program installed which needs it, and that's "Easy Media Creator v7" or later. If you didn't download/install the Net Framework yourself, you can be sure it's been installed as an essential component of some application you installed at some point.

If all your current applications are running properly, you don't need to worry about updating to the latest version of Net Framework, though you should of course keep up with the security updates for it if possible -- hopefully they will install okay in the future! And if they don't, just repeat what you did this time.

Tomagie

Tomagie

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I am running windows 7, but every time I startup my computer it states that netframework 2.0 needs to be installed and to go to microsoft to installit, but then it says it should have been installed when I installed the operating system. I think the probelem happened when I tried to install my lexmark printer on the wireless network.

I would really appreciate any suggestions you have.

Tomagie