Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Winamp won't play Mp3s

• Please log in to reply

pebaker2

pebaker2

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
Regardless of the song that I try to play in Winamp, there is silence, counter remains at zero, I can skip ahead and the counter will change but Winamp still won't play.

I've reinstalled, tried mp3s in other folders, tried moving folders...no change. Anyone else had this experience?

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
If Windows Media Player plays them OK, try uninstalling then re-installing Winamp. Make sure also you are using latest version of it.

pebaker2

pebaker2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Okay, just tried that. The files won't play in Media Player either. Media Player says "Media changing" in the bottom corner and then kind of skips through the songs, but won't play. By the way, this problem just started this afternoon. Would it help to run Hijack-This?

pebaker2

pebaker2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Update:

It seems that in addition to the music and video files not being able to play, no sounds are playing on my computer either. The only changes that I've made recently are 1) moving some folders of mp3s to my music folder and 2) updating my connection speed for my RealPlayer. Strange. I did look to see if I had any problems in Device Manager and two appeared:

Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface, "Windows cannot start this hardware device because its configuration information (in the registry) is incomplete or damaged. (Code 19)" "Click 'Check for solutions' to send data about this device to Microsoft and to see if there is a solution available." The other problem is:

USB CF Reader, "This device cannot start. (Code 10)" "Click 'Check for solutions' to send data about this device to Microsoft and to see if there is a solution available."

Maybe these problems are the culprit...but I can't seem to figure out how to solve them. Any ideas??

ebilflindas

ebilflindas

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I've recently discovered the same problem on my machine--I wonder if the timing is relevant...
Anyway, have you figured this out, pebaker2? The only remedy I've found is to restart, but then at some point the problem crops up again. Not only will my local media not play, I also cannot view/hear anything online (ie Youtube). I, however, do not have any problems showing in Device Manager.

After restarting this morning, I thought I'd leave Pandora on to see what would happen. I left the house for about three hours, and when I returned, sure enough, there was no more audio. My browser was still open, although there was a message on the Pandora interface saying something like, "Are you still listening? We haven't heard from you in a while." It was playing fine for an hour while I was home, but at some point during the three hours I was gone, the music stopped.

Any ideas?

pebaker2

pebaker2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
My solution was to do a system restore. It worked but about a week later the problem is back, so are the errors with "Toredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface" and the "USB CF Reader" in Device Manager. I'm still working on finding a solution...the problem seems just strange enough that it could be from a virus, but my anti-virus (Avast) hasn't found anything. Time will tell.

~Water~

~Water~

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Thing is, you can't just have the music on Winamp.

When you copy and paste it, it goes through your files looking for the songs, if they aren't there it goes, What the... and skips to the next song.

So you need to make a file in My Documents that you can hold all of your songs in, so when Winamp looks for the songs on your computer, it wont just skip.

Problem solved.
:)