Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Workaround for Vista disabling network adaptors

• Please log in to reply

Scott3344

Scott3344

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
Just an FYI that might save you some time if you had the same problem I did. After I finished updating Vista, I could not connect to the internet. On restarting, Vista displayed several messages saying that it had blocked the drivers for my network adaptors from starting, because they were "known to have compatibility problems" with Windows. My computer had been working fine until then, so not sure what the compatibility problems were.

Anyway, Vista helpfully asked if I wanted to search for updated drivers that were compatible. However, since Vista disabled my network adapters, no search was possible. Found another computer to work on, but on searching it didn't look like any updated drivers were available.

My workaround was to de-install each of the past package of updates, most of which required restarting. The offending update is KB935280, and Microsoft's discussion of the update is here. Once this update was uninstalled, the drivers for my adaptors started fine, and I re-installed all of the uninstalled updates (except for KB935280, which I'm leaving off until better drivers are available).

Advertisements