Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Unmountable _boot_volume BSOD

• Please log in to reply

thebat1

thebat1

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Ok.. I will try to expain what I have with words and pictures.

WindowsXP PRO
2 gig memory
MSI motherboard
Intell pentium 4

hard drive is western digital and is set to master with jumpers...and cd to slave

A) Hard drive 320 gig with 4 partions

Master (IDE CABLE) C: D: E: F: and cd on slave IDE cable (both on same IDE cable)

Posted Image

The reason I did this..(dont know how I did this but...)

wanted to have the 320 gig

C: operating system
D: for Zipped and unzipped stuff
E:\for Music
F: for swap file (memory?)

When I boot up I get a Unmountable _boot_volume BSOD

Posted Image

the only thing I cant tell is if I am using 40 or 80 pin cables. They are round IDE cables and I dont know how to check this??

How do I fix this without loosing my stuff?

Or better yet how can I get all my stuff to another location then re partion the whole thing (whole hard drive.)
I cant boot up unless I am using the "Ultimate boot disk 902_SE" (A live windows cd.)

I have tryed ALL of the obvious things like system restor.. cant run chkdsk... cant use system recovery...
nothing so far has worked. cant repair a windows install/.....

please help.

Thanks a million in advance.//////////

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Unmountable Boot Volume can usually be corrected by booting off an XP CD, pressing R for the Recovery Console, logging on if prompted, then typing "chkdsk /p /r" and pressing Enter. When told its done, one can type exit to restart the computer. It then should boot normally.

Failing this, one may need to do Chkdsk again as stated above, then reboot, boot off the CD again and start a Windows repair.

thebat1

thebat1

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Unmountable Boot Volume can usually be corrected by booting off an XP CD, pressing R for the Recovery Console, logging on if prompted, then typing "chkdsk /p /r" and pressing Enter. When told its done, one can type exit to restart the computer. It then should boot normally.

Failing this, one may need to do Chkdsk again as stated above, then reboot, boot off the CD again and start a Windows repair.

hmmmm as I stated above.. (Not trying to be sarcastic.or mean...)

that tells me that this is unable to be done because of a unrecoverable error.
Ill try again and get the exact message.

But thanks for trying.. I do appreciate that..

thebat1

thebat1

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
ok here is the exact error :whistling:

Posted Image

also tryed a few other things while I was there..

Posted Image
Only shows one partition???

Posted Image
I found this interesting.. but dont know what it told me.. maybe someone else can tell me something about it??

Thanks again to anyone who has looked at this

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Need to replace the hard drive if you see a message about one or more unrecoverable problems. That's telling you the drive is on the way out and you should replace it and get what you can off that drive before it packs up altogether.

thebat1

thebat1

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Need to replace the hard drive if you see a message about one or more unrecoverable problems. That's telling you the drive is on the way out and you should replace it and get what you can off that drive before it packs up altogether.

Wow your kidding?
It is a brand new drive.. under warranty I am sure..
what do I tell them to get them to take it back and give me a new one?
It is a western digital bought at Sam's Club?
thanks!!!