Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

MSI k8t890m2-V motherboard

• Please log in to reply

enyawd

enyawd

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I have new MSI motherboard and AMD Athlon 64 x2 3800+ cpu. Msi model k8t890m2-V. I am trying to load win xp. When I boot to cd-rom it says "press any key to boot from cd". I press key and nothing happens. Then it tries to boot from Harddrive. If I unhook harddrive it will boot with cd. Of course no harddrive found can't continue. I have tried swapping out memory sticks, bought different harddrive, clearing bios and restarting, tried new cdrom, I have checked all the boot sequences. I have disabled harddisk boot alltogether then cdrom will boot but then win xp install does not find any hard disks even though hard disk shows in bios All parts are new and have no luck. I,ve been working on this for days--Does anyone have any ideas?? I have checked all drives in different computer and all work!
Thanks

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Is it a SATA drive?
You're not trying to use the SATA power-connector and the four-pin connector together at the same time are you?
Have you tried a different power supply?

enyawd

enyawd

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Yes it is a Sata drive. I am only using the data connector and 1 power conector. The drive is recognized in the bios. I have also went from 400w power suply to a 500w. I have tried Sata drive in another computer and it works just fine.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Looks as if there is a BIOS problem. If the board is new and under gurantee try to replace it with another one. If not, try to download and insatll the latest BIOS update.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Look in the BIOS for an option that allows you to toggle the SATA type. You can often toggle it between IDE and RAID. You want it as IDE, as Windows should then pick it up when you boot off CD.

enyawd

enyawd

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks for the replies. I did contact the manufacturer and they are going to replace it since they walked me through all the steps i have already performed.

hudihoo

hudihoo

• PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
That particular board has known issues with being doa. If you get one that works it is great. However I am sure MSi is aware of this and that is why they were so willing to give you a new one. The new one should work and good luck.