Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Can't see computer on network

• Please log in to reply

pecans6

pecans6

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
I am able to use print sharing and share an internet connection on this HP laptop without a problem. I cannot however, see this HP laptop from my Compaq laptop that is also on the network. Both computers are XP Home. My Gateway laptop (running VISTA) does show the Compaq computer in Network Places but no the HP.

Any help is appreciated.

Advertisements

t-man

t-man

• PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
Are they in the same workgroup?

pecans6

pecans6

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
They are supposed to be unless I did not set them up properly.
Thanks for the reply.

thenotch

thenotch

• Retired Staff
  • 667 posts
Are you using DHCP to pull and IP address or is it set statically? Verify that the IP subnet is the same, that the workgroup is the same.

I am assuming that you checked the NIC on the laptop you cant see and it is functioning properly.

pecans6

pecans6

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
thenotch, I am not even sure how to check the DHCP or NIC. Those are new terms to me. I did look up those definitions and will try to see that I can find out on the laptop that I can't see.

Thank you for replying.

thenotch

thenotch

• Retired Staff
  • 667 posts
Start --> Run --> then type in CMD

In the command line box type in ipconfig /all

This will give you all your information. If your IP address starts with 169.x.x.x or is 0.0.0.0 then you have a problem. If you have an IP address (probably something along the lines of 192.168.x.x) then you either pulled n IP address via DHCP or it is set statically. Either or you have an IP next thing is to see if the other computer has the same IP subnet (ie. if your IP address is 192.168.1.x the other should be 192.168.1.x [x being any number]).

You should also note that unless file sharing is enabled the system will not be seen.

pecans6

pecans6

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
The computer that I can't see and now doesn't show the other computers does have the same IP address except the last number. Does that matter? One number is 192...1. while the other ends in .8

When I tried to "add a network place" from the "problem" computer and connect to MSHOME (name of the network) it would not allow me to connect. I used to be able to see the other computers until a few weeks ago. Not sure what happened. It is set to file share.

Thanks for trying to help me.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
What firewall are you using? Are you using the same on all the computers? Are they all set to the same level of security?