Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Repairing Vista

• Please log in to reply

gamelord12

gamelord12

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
I tried dual-boot with Linux, under the impression that I could overwrite XP and have it work. Here's my setup: I got the computer with XP. Partitioned it in February and put Vista on the second partition. Now that XP is no longer needed, I overwrote XP with Ubuntu. I decided not only that I will never need to use Ubuntu again, but that I want Vista back, and I can't boot to it. I tried using what appears to be a Windows 98 boot disc but I either don't know how to use it or it didn't work. How can I get back to Vista, where it will boot up with no OS selection in the BIOS? I want a single-OS machine again; screw Ubuntu. Besides, my whole life is on Vista right now--iTunes, Outlook, web cam drivers, games...how can I get Vista back? The auto-recover tool on the Vista DVD couldn't find Vista. The command prompt on the DVD said that I couldn't use fixboot and fixmbr on that volume or something. What do I do? If you could give me idiot-proof instructions, that would be best.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi gamelord12...

Will the machine boot at all? Because Vista uses a different boot loader than XP (BCD), and it is likely still there, you can try using a program like Vista Boot Pro to edit the BCD. It will scan the drives and find Vista if it is still a viable option.

wannabe1

gamelord12

gamelord12

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
The machine will boot, but only into Linux. I have Vista Boot Pro, but I obviously can't access it because I can't boot into Vista. The funny thing is that I won't need it anymore once I can boot into Vista again because I've decided to go back to a single-OS machine after this nightmare.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
How about installing Vista over Linux and copying your data across to the new install? Is that an option for you?

gamelord12

gamelord12

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Well, without reading that post, that's what I did. Incidentally, it fixed everything and now I can access that second partition just like before. However...I want to get rid of my first partition altogether. How can I do that so that I can use my existing Vista install (from before) in a single-OS, no boot selection environment?