Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

RAID array questions

• Please log in to reply

ox411

ox411

• PipPip
  • 47 posts
currently i have an ASUS A7N8X-E Deluxe motherboard with 2 western digital WD800JD set up in a banded raid array.

im planning on getting 2 more WD800JD drives and setting up a RAID array across the 4 drives.

in order to do that im going to need to get a PCI card because the motherboard only has 2 SATA connectors.

i have no idea which PCI card to get.

on new egg the raid controllers range from about 20 dollars up to hundreds of dollars. im sure they have different capabilities, im just not sure what i need.

the main questions i have are:

-first, is it even worth it to make this change? will the addition of 2 more hard drives to the RAID array make a significant difference in the way the computer runs?

-are the hard drives i have compatible with SATA II?

-whats the difference between SATA 3.0 and SATA 150?

-id love some suggestions on which RAID controller to buy. i need it to control 4 of these WD800JD drives.

thanks for your help
-josh

Advertisements