Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

2 web dev questions.

• Please log in to reply

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
Alright, I have two questions regarding a website I am making.

1. On GeeksToGo, in the URL bar there is a little picture of a G, like that's in G2G's logo. How can I make a picture display there on my website?

2. I am currently using frames for my website:

<frameset cols="15%,*" border="0">
<frame noresize="noresize" src="/menu.html" />
<frame noresize="noresize" src="/main.html" name="showframe" />
</frameset>

I hear using frames is bad, and that it should be done via CSS. My question is, how can I do the above in CSS?

Thanks

Advertisements

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
First question: Use what is called a favicon. Try this online tool:

Favicon Generator

Forgot to include where to put your favicon <meta> tag. It will look like this and go between your <head> tags of every page where you want it used:

<link rel="shortcut icon" href="URL_path_here/favicon.ico">

This shows it in the root directory on the server, but mine is in the "imgs" folder:

<link rel="shortcut icon" href="http://PayneLessDesi...s/favicon.ico">

Some browsers require it to be in the root directory it seems (about 15% of them).

Second question: Frames aren't that bad if used properly. Some people over do frames for their pages. Using CSS is mainly to use one that sets up the layout that you are looking for, i.e., a two column with header/footer, a single column with header/footer, etc.. There are plenty of templates available unless you want to start from scratch. If you aren't familiar with CS stylesheets, check out CSS2.

Others:

CSS Stylesheets
W3C.org CSS Validation Service

W3C.org Markup Validation Service

There's lots more out there, but should get you started. Other posters may list their preferences, too.

Ron

Edited by Major Payne, 15 July 2007 - 07:02 PM.

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Topic Starter
  • Technician
  • 2,579 posts
Okay, so 1st question is answered thanks.

I think I'll stick with frames for now then, since I only have 2. (For a menu system)

But now I have a new question:

When one clicks on text on my website, a flashing cursor appears and won't stop flashing. How can I make it so that when someone clicks on my text, the flashing cursor doesn't appear?

Oh, and another new question:

When one clicks on a link in my menu, a fuzzy box appears around it. (Click on any text link on this forum to see what I mean.) Now, normally, like on the forum, the next page would load, and the fuzzy box would disappear. But, since only a new frame loads and the menu stays, the fuzzy box also stays. How can I get rid of this?

NOTE: Both occurrences do NOT happen in IE6. I've only experienced them in Firefox.

Edited by stettybet0, 15 July 2007 - 07:48 PM.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
You have

</frameset>

Might try adding other attributes like this:

<frameset cols="15%,*"> (NOTE: Removed border attribute)
<frame name="header" src="/menu.html" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" noresize="noresize" />
<frame name="content" src="/main.html" scrolling="auto" frameborder="0" noresize="noresize" name="showframe" />
</frameset>

Make sure you have one of the frameset document types, too:

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Frameset//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR...-frameset.dtd">

Do you have a URL to site to see about flashing cursor that shows in FF and not IE?

Ron

Edited by Major Payne, 16 July 2007 - 09:06 PM.

Stryker250

Stryker250

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
The favcon image / file should be in your root directory. FF for example ignores the meta tag and looks to see if there is one in your root folder. IE uses both but tends tolook more at the met tag. Opera works the same as FF in this critera.

For the fuzzy box that appears around links when clicked on is normal in FF and Opera. IE wont do it. The only way to get rid of it is to reload the page / frame.

The flashing cursor baffles me a bit...a link would be nice (as mentioned above) to see this.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts

The favcon image / file should be in your root directory. FF for example ignores the meta tag and looks to see if there is one in your root folder. IE uses both but tends tolook more at the met tag. Opera works the same as FF in this critera.

I'm afraid I have to disagree where the favicon should be place. Went over this in the webdeveloper.com's forum. Mine works fine as shown in Firefox with it in the imgs folder as that's how the <meta> tag calls it out. In fact, the extension was a .gif originally and not .ico. IE ignored it either way along with any other browser that didsn't like the .gif extension. As I mentioned, 15% of the browsers will ignore my favicon which doesn't bother me since it shows in my browser of choice... Firefox! As it stands, I do have the ico extension on my homepage. IE, Opera, and several others totally ignore the <meta> tag, but if I put the favicon in the root directory, it will pick it up. I may get around to changing it all some to to keep other browsers happy.

Ron

Stryker250

Stryker250

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
I might have not explained myself correctly. Sorry about that. I guess I never mentioned that if the browser cannot find the favicon in the rot directorory it looks at the meta tag. But as you have also mentioned, some browsers ignore the meta tag. Best would be to keep it in the root directory of your site. I personally have not played around with the favicon uch, only with IE7, FF2 and Opera 9 (I think).

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Topic Starter
  • Technician
  • 2,579 posts
Alright, I may not have explained the flashing cursor correctly... what I mean is this:

When I take the regular cursor (the arrow) and click on text on my website, I get a flashing line, similar to the flashing line you see when typing a reply on this forum, or in a word processing program. But, since my text cannot be edited, it's kind of annoying to me. I was just wondering if there is any way I could make it so that clicks would have no effect on my text.

Also, second opinions on the fuzzy box would be nice. It is what annoys me the most.

Edited by stettybet0, 16 July 2007 - 11:28 AM.

Stryker250

Stryker250

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
For the flashing cursor add this to the top of your page....within the head tags
<style type="text/css">
p{
cursor: default;
}
</style>

For more information check this link

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Topic Starter
  • Technician
  • 2,579 posts
No, I already have that, it just stops the cursor from changing into an I-Beam when put over my text. However, clicking still brings up the flashing line.

Advertisements

Stryker250

Stryker250

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
Arre they links that thepeople click on?

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Topic Starter
  • Technician
  • 2,579 posts
no, just standard text. Like, when you are in Microsoft Word and click on a word you just typed, a flashing line appears in between the letters where you clicked. The same thing happens here, (not on IE6) and it's annoying.

Stryker250

Stryker250

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
On how may different PC's did you test this and what browsers? Does this happen with any other sites that you go to?

Just to check....this only happens after you click on the text right?

Edited by Stryker250, 16 July 2007 - 01:53 PM.

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Topic Starter
  • Technician
  • 2,579 posts
I tried on one PC (running Windows XP Home SP2) and using Firefox and IE6. As I said, it does not occur with IE6. I hope you understand what I am describing... it's a flashing line like this:

http://www.hipinglas.../wordwindow.gif
http://www.stu.qmul....word/word01.GIF

But when I click it appears where I click in my text and flashes there. It goes away when a new page loads, but when this happens on the menu, which doesn't reload, it stays there forever!

Understand that this is a normal occurrence! It's just one that happens to annoy me.

Also, another question related to my frames... I have this as my code for the frames:

</frameset>

But the XHTML validator says:

This page is not Valid XHTML 1.0 Frameset!

1. Error Line 12 column 30: there is no attribute "border".

You have used the attribute named above in your document, but the document type you are using does not support that attribute for this element. This error is often caused by incorrect use of the "Strict" document type with a document that uses frames (e.g. you must use the "Transitional" document type to get the "target" attribute), or by using vendor proprietary extensions such as "marginheight" (this is usually fixed by using CSS to achieve the desired effect instead).

This error may also result if the element itself is not supported in the document type you are using, as an undefined element will have no supported attributes; in this case, see the element-undefined error message for further information.

How to fix: check the spelling and case of the element and attribute, (Remember XHTML is all lower-case) and/or check that they are both allowed in the chosen document type, and/or use CSS instead of this attribute. If you received this error when using the <embed> element to incorporate flash media in a Web page, see the FAQ item on valid flash.

Edited by stettybet0, 16 July 2007 - 03:10 PM.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
That seems to be a standard editing cursor you are getting. Just out of curiosity, do you have any check spelling as I type turned on? Or some browser extension that provides a similar function? Stabbing at straws here since you don't have a URL I can go to to see if I can reproduce problem with different browsers.

Ron