Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Partition issue

• Please log in to reply

jonnyshea

jonnyshea

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
Hey guys,

so I was dual booting with Ubuntu and XP and recently removed Ubuntu.
I had some severe issues removing the Ubuntu partition successfully [which can be seen in my post history], but after some work I believed I had it resolved.

This past weekend I began a new video project on my laptop and low and behold along came a problem -- I was out of space.
I knew this couldn't be true, so I booted up my partition manager and sure enough, I found the thing I had missed:
http://www.postingpi...mages/mess1.JPG

Notice that although the drive says it's 71.77GB, the capacity of my C drive is only 12.97GB

Anyone know how to resolve this, or know of a program that can do so?

Thanks,

Jonny

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Delete stuff you don't use, uninstall programs you don't use or buy a bigger hard drive.

Actually, looking at the screenshot again, I don't quite follow how it can claim to be two different sizes. Run Scandisk on the thing, let it reboot and then see what happens.

Edited by Neil Jones, 16 July 2007 - 02:24 PM.

jonnyshea

jonnyshea

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Hi,

You'll notice that this is not an issue with me not having enough space on my harddrive -- I am actually only using 11GB. The capacity is showing 12.97GB but the partition is showing over 70GB as you can see in my screen shot.

I will try the scandisk when I get home -- in the meantime, has anyone else seen this before?

I'd rather not have to format.

Thanks,

Jonny

sharlpero

sharlpero

• PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
Hm, I think you need use 3d party software like Disk Director(or smth else). I use DD and I like it. So, you should increase the partition size using free space - that's all. It isn't free, but you can use free trial ver.

mako2nv

mako2nv

• Pip
  • 6 posts
may have to do another install of windows xp and partition it again if u cant use windows to partition it anyfuther