Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

BIOS Issue.

• Please log in to reply

Dieselmanplayer

Dieselmanplayer

• Pip
  • 8 posts
(i posted this on another forum)

---------------------------
i had a series of problems with my computer, mainly because i think i messed something up when i sprayed duster the wrong way(it was alot too :whistling:). Anyways i got most of it fixed i can see things, but my BIOS menu only shows a floppy device, no IDE drives or nothing. When i try to boot, it gives an error. I actually fix computers on the side, but gladly i only do virus removal and general troubleshooting etc, im not very familiar with hardware side. Any suggestions would be appreciated, thanks.
-----------------------------
Some dude said:

Re-seat all the connections for the IDE drives (power, interface). It's quite possible that you accidentally pulled them out, even slightly, while fiddling around inside the computer.
---------------------------

Okay well, one of the connectors was loose, but i cant tell if it picks them up because.

if i dont plug in a keyboard, it beeps and nothing happens. My ps/2 connector doesnt work that well anymore. if i plug in a USB keyboard would it work? i dont want to go out and buy one if it wont.

I actually spent like an hour doing CMOS resets and changing everything around until i finally found out it was the [bleep] keyboard.
---------------

To sum up: will a usb keyboard work instantly with bios etc.. and when it did work, my IDE devices didnt work. How do i get the bios to recognize them?

If you guys could continue from this it would be great :blink: . Also, sorry if this is the wrong forum, i do run windowx xp, but i dont know if this is the right place to post this. feel free to move it.

Edited by Dieselmanplayer, 16 July 2007 - 04:52 AM.

Advertisements

Dieselmanplayer

Dieselmanplayer

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Uh. i tried some more to reset the CMOS in hopes itll work.. if i push in the keyboard really hard it shows up and i can see things. But i cannot press any keys. It still says no boot device selected.. :S

also will getting a new motherboard most likely fix this?

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
A USB keyboard should work no problems, and depending on what exactly the problem is, a new motherboard may or may not fix this.

Dieselmanplayer

Dieselmanplayer

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Okay thanks, ill have to go down and grab one. ill post back with what happens.