Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't open "My computer"

• Please log in to reply

dano2l

dano2l

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I was working on a friend's computer (XP) trying to track down a nasty piece of browser hijack spyware and I'm pretty sure I screwed something up.

During the whole process I ran AdAware and Spybot, downloaded and installed service pack 2 with other critical updates, downloaded and ran Microsoft's anti-spyware thing, and tweaked the names of a few .dll files that the hijack seemed to be using (eg. I changed netgp.dll to netgp.ddd etc).

After all was said and done, using the "my computer" icons from the desktop or from the start menu causes everything to hang and crash. Booting from scratch allows all of the startup programs to run (yahoo messenger, etc) but I get Dr. Watson or whatever after I try to get to the file directories.

Everything works fine in safe mode, but crashes under normal startup. I also went back and changed the names of the dll files back to what they were, all to no avail. Here are some of the files I temporarily tweaked: mvspy.dll, qyjpm.dll, some shortcut to a ms-dos program, netgp.dll and I added one or two letters to two little suspect applications (all have been returned to their original names). I also uninstalled Microsoft's anti-spyware program.

How do I restore/repair whatever little thing I screwed up without accidentally wiping everything from her hard drive? I'm really really beginning to hate computers. But I like you guys. Help!

Thanks.

A total moron who deep down knew he shouldn't have messed with random files,

-Dan (I've learned my lesson...really)

Edited by dano2l, 11 April 2005 - 10:06 PM.

Advertisements