Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Office 2003

• Please log in to reply

cca50

cca50

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Just loaded XP Pro Retail, XP OEM was not right. Since I did, when I used Office 2003 "Detect and Repair" I get a pop up box stating "The feature you are trying to use is on a network resource that is unavailable"
"Click OK to try again or enter an alternate path to a folder containing the installation packge '511735.MAINSP1op.msp' in the box below."

The box is
"Use Source"
C:\Program Files\OfficeUpdate11\Cabs\511735\

There is nothing in the Cabs folder in OfficeUpdate11\Cabs. From looking for a fix, I have found this is a very common problem and no one really has a fix or work around. Office 2003 will not uninstall from "add/remove programs" and the icons in the programs list are basicly blanked out, and the programs will not function from the program list. I can go to the root of Office and use the programs from there. There has to be a fix some where. Microsoft acknowledges there is a problem, but I can't see that there is a fix or work around offered there.

Does anyone have a clue how to fix this?

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If you uninstall Office the only real loss is e-mails you have in Outlook, if you save the ones you need and then re-install Office it should clear the issue

TguoD

TguoD

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I have the same problem with Office 2003 standard and Publisher 2003. It started out with my Microsoft Icons disappearing. I am unable to install/repair/uninstall office or publisher. Just now I noticed that Office program files seem to be dissappearing. I don't understand. It acts like a worm. Does anyoine have any ideas??

HJB

HJB

• Pip
  • 1 posts
CCA50,

I am having the same trouble with Office 2003. My problems began after an Office update. I get that stinking "The feature your are trying to ..." message if I go into Add/Remove software and try either "change" or "remove." At this point, I can't do the following with Office 2003: use it, apply patches, repair it, re-install it, or uninstall it. I past the beat-the-heck-out-of-the-desk-and-cuss-like-a-drunken-sailor frustration point about two days ago.

A Google search on the phrase has led to what appear to be near, but not quite, solutions.

Does anyone know if I can delete the Office folder, the Office Update folder, the Office registry entries, and reinstall? If so, what registry settings? Can I just do the Office braches in User\Software\Microsoft\Office and Local_Machine\Software\Microsoft\Office?

HJB

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Check with task manager to see if any Office processes are running, end any then try to remove.

You can remove the folders you mention then try tune up trial, run disc clean up the registry clean up

Tune Up Trial

Search for Office, Office 11

Edited by Keith, 21 April 2005 - 05:41 AM.

TguoD

TguoD

• Pip
  • 2 posts
It seems that the Microsoft Installer screws up sometimes, imagine that, anyway they have a tool that will remove any Microsoft product and straighten out the register.

They actually sent me instructions and it worked.

First please confirm that you have the Office 2003 full version installation CD so that you reinstall Office successfully.

1. Download and install the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility.

http://download.micr...1BD/msicuu2.exe

2. After you install the Windows Installer CleanUp Utility, click Start menu-> All Programs-> Windows Install Clean Up.

3. Highlight all the Microsoft Office entries in the list and then click Remove. Quit the Utility.

4. Restart your computer and then reinstall Office 2003.

All is well now and I didn't have to re-register or anything.

:tazz:

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Hello TguoD

Thank you for posting the link for Windows Clean Up have downloaded it as it is sure to be needed

Keith