Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

html

• Please log in to reply

wink1

wink1

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi. I want to build a web page. I have no idea what I am doing, but I was trying to follow a tutorial. Do I need html in order to upload a web page? When I try to save(as) the doc. as html, I dont see that option. Is html available on all computers or Is there a program that you have to purchase???
I am usin Windows VIsta Home ed. can anyone please guide me in the right direction?

Advertisements

BirdieUK

BirdieUK

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
html is widely viewable on most OS's.

To upload, you need a server to upload to. So you need to find a web host to "put it on the internet". What OS you have, doesnt matter really. You can upload using FTP which is normally the best way to do so.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Please do not use Word or Front Page to do your web pages.

If you are not familiar with hand coding HTML, then you might want to look into using a free WYSIWYG Editor like NVU. There are other WYSIWYG Editors. Just Google for them. If you know how to code HTML, then a nice free HTML Editor is Matrix Y2K . To upload/download multiple files to your site and, if it allows use of a client side FTP program, I would recommend SmartFTP (free to use).

For graphics, you can use many of the online tools to do your graphics until you feel you need to purchase a graphics program like Photoshop CS2 or Fireworks. The only other thing is to ensure your code is properly written. Use of the W3C's Validator Service is recommended. You also will have to pick up how to use CSS and validate the coding for it at W3C's CSS Validator.

There are plenty of very good books available at Amazon.com. I buy the cheaper ones because they are like new. A smudge here and there, but many have not been open. You can also visit the tutorials at the W3CShools. Another good link is HTMLTutorials.com or HTMLCodeTutorial.com.

HTHs,

Ron

BirdieUK

BirdieUK

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
Frontpage isnt that bad for newbies.

I recommend dreamweaver though :whistling:, its great, especially with the ftp compatibility in CS3