Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

No sound....have no idea why anymore!

• Please log in to reply

Wizard23

Wizard23

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hello everyone,

I've been at this for a week hours on end..i'm ready to throw the computer out! After encountering a virus...zlob and who knows what else through an active x install...my pc got messed up! After a few hours through safe mode, i was able to get rid of all the virus..i think...but upon my first reboot...out of many!...i got a popup next to my clock..it said new hardware detected...my sound card was there..creative 1371/1373..and also it said new hardware..pci to isa bridge installation. After this...i had no sound device detected. After a few days of searching, i was able to get a device detected but still got error messages from wmp..and when i tried to play a system sound from control panel-->sound devices--->sound tab...it said the file may be corrupt or use an unrecognized compression format. Hours later, i downloaded soundblaster pci..some driver i guess..and i no longer got any error messages..even in wmp, sound appeared to play..the bars were moving, but no sound through speakers. Cd's don't work either. In diagx..under sound test...i was getting an error on step 3 at first. When sound appeared to play with no sound coming through speakers..i was getting an error at step 19. I have tried driver after driver and nothing is working at all! I have a compaq ep/sb series, bios version 686t2, processor is intel 82443bx....on xp. If any other info is needed please ask...any and all help will be appreciated as tis computer seems to have reached the end of its use:(

Advertisements

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
Instructions to do before posting in the malware fourm.

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty--and you may not be-- then post a hijackthis log in THAT forum.

If you are still having problems after getting a clean bill of health from the malware expert, please return to this thread.

Also if you want to learn how to fight malware with us. Check out This Thread.

Wizard23

Wizard23

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Sorry about the confusion..but it's not a malware issue anymore...i just wanted to explain what led to the problem. My problem is a hardware issue..i have no sound playing..its why i posted in the hardware section. My hijack this log is clear..there are no problems there. All traces of the viruses/worm have been deleted...i'm trying to figre out how to re-configure my pc to allow sound to play.

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
It is procedure that you are checked for malware when your problem began with malware. Please follow the instructions. Until then you can try re-installing your sound drivers. Right click on my computer and select manage. Have a look at the device manager on that screen. Do you see any yellow "!"?

Wizard23

Wizard23

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I've gone through most of those steps during the past week:) There are no conflicts whatsoever..with either drivers or memory. Everything is said to be working and started. Volume controls are all correct...sound is enabled in bios. I've uninstalled drivers repeatedly..and the sound card as well..to no avail. The speakers are working as i hear the buzz coming..but no sound at all.

Wizard23

Wizard23

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thread can be closed..problem was solved.

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
If you don't mind we would like to know how it was solved. This way if someone else has a simular problem they may be able to fix it on their own without having to ask for help. Glad you got it worked out.

Wizard23

Wizard23

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
There was no way to fix it...well maybe reformatting would have worked, but the procedure wasn't worth it and it too would have had no guarantees. I threw it out and got another computer.