Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Disabling Windows Firewall

• Please log in to reply

EMDF

EMDF

• PipPipPip
  • 140 posts
When I went to disable windows firewall (it has become a general pain and I'm thinking of switching to another one anyway), it wouldn't allow me to. It said that it was controlled by "Group Policy"

Here's a picture of the problem

any way to fix this and allow me to disable the firewall?

EDIT:
grammar was awful

Edited by EMDF, 16 July 2007 - 11:13 AM.

Advertisements

ClickRight

ClickRight

• PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
Are you running windows XP Pro or Home? Are you part of a domain?

Edit:

I should note that a variety of viruses and spyware can play with the Windows firewall, regardless what version of XP it is. Make sure you fun a full system sweep with AVG Anti-Virus and AVG Anti-Spyware.

Edited by ClickRight, 16 July 2007 - 01:26 PM.

EMDF

EMDF

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts
XP home, and I'm not sure what you mean by the domain thing

ClickRight

ClickRight

• PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
Alright, well you're not part of a domain if you're running home. I believe this is the solution you're looking for.

Please be *extremely* careful when working with the Windows Registry. Do not delete anything other than what that article says.

Be sure to read my edit above as well and scan for viruses and spware.

Learnatic

Learnatic

• PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
In my furtive searches to cure my own problem, I've read this and I don't have a 'Firewall' folder on my XP Home.

Is this irregular, since the Firewall appeared yesterday asking me if I should block or unblock the lsass.exe file?
Reg01.jpg

Cheers,
L.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
You can access the Windows Firewall by going to the Start menu, open Control Panel (or Settings > Control Panel), and then Windows Firewall will be listed under there. If you don't have Windows Firewall there, either you have a serious infection that needs cleaning on your computer or you need to upgrade your XP to Service Pack 2.

If you aren't quite sure what's going on with your computer, please feel free to follow all the malware forum instructions here

EDIT: Don't forget the Windows XP Firewall is only a one-way solution, for better protection you should use a different firewall program. I personally recommend (and use) ZoneAlarm, you can download it from my signature. Other members of this forum use and recommend Comodo and report success with it.

Edited by ruthandtroy, 16 July 2007 - 05:51 PM.

EMDF

EMDF

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts

You can access the Windows Firewall by going to the Start menu, open Control Panel (or Settings > Control Panel), and then Windows Firewall will be listed under there. If you don't have Windows Firewall there, either you have a serious infection that needs cleaning on your computer or you need to upgrade your XP to Service Pack 2.

That's not the problem. I have the windows firewall along with sp2, but it's controlled by "group policy"

If you aren't quite sure what's going on with your computer, please feel free to follow all the malware forum instructions here

I've already got a topic going on in there. I guess I forgot about it and didn't enable email replies? I probably should go back there to clear everything before I do any of the steps above

EDIT: Don't forget the Windows XP Firewall is only a one-way solution, for better protection you should use a different firewall program. I personally recommend (and use) ZoneAlarm, you can download it from my signature. Other members of this forum use and recommend Comodo and report success with it.

That's why I'm probably going to switch to another firewall (preferrably one that's free and checks both ways). I'll check out ZoneAlarm and Comodo since those are the ones you suggested.

Well, i guess I should go back to the malware section and continue my thread.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Yes, just wait patiently, someone will come along and help you. It's a very busy forum. If it's been longer than three days, you can read this link and then post in the Waiting Room.

Cheers.

EMDF

EMDF

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Yes, just wait patiently, someone will come along and help you. It's a very busy forum. If it's been longer than three days, you can read this link and then post in the Waiting Room.

Cheers.

I've already got a topic started. in a while I'm gonna check and see if it got closed due to me not checking it.

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
Go to Start -> Run
type services.msc
Scroll down to Windows Firewall and right click on it and choose Properties
Click the Stop button
Then use the drop down box to change it to Disabled.
Reboot.