Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

WSUS 3.0

• Please log in to reply

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
I had MS system center essentials, installed, I uninstalled that and then installed wsus 3.0. So I had to start from scratch anyways.
Im assuming as soon as you uninstall and reinstall it would be like starting from scratch, lose all settings.

That really bites the big one.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
yeah....i ASSUME that i could retain the content (i.e. all the updates)...but i would imagine that it would not keep up with what's been approved etc...

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts

Upgrade seamlessly from WSUS 2.0 to WSUS 3.0
WSUS 3.0 can be installed on a server that already has WSUS 2.0 installed. The installation process will perform an in-place upgrade that preserves all the previous settings and approvals. The process of upgrading a server hierarchy should start from the central server and continue down the hierarchy. A WSUS 2.0 server can synchronize from a WSUS 3.0 server, but a WSUS 3.0 server cannot synchronize from a WSUS 2.0 server. Upgrading from WSUS 2.0 to WSUS 3.0 is a one-way process; going back to WSUS 2.0 requires that you first remove WSUS 3.0, then reinstall WSUS 2.0.

from here

Suppose to work

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
yup...SUPPOSED to work...but it says it can't connect to the database...i'll keep digging

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
just uninstalled 2.0 and installed 3.0...so far so good..it wasn't able to retain all the info as far as what updates i had approved and what i hadn't...but it is able to detect what is and isn't installed on the pcs currently...so...that should help

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
I spent about an hour or so going back through and redoing the approvals. But the pie charts do help to show quickly which ones are needed or not. Im happy with 3.0. Also now I have it set up to send me nightly reports and a report if it synchronizes anything that night. So I can always be on top of what updates are being sync becuase if I remember correctly you and I are the same in not auto approving anything.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
indeed...i only auto approve WSUS updates...nothing else

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts

indeed...i only auto approve WSUS updates...nothing else

Thats right, I just checked, lol. I do have those to auto.