Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Downgrading Help

• Please log in to reply

cabledevin

cabledevin

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I need help downgrading my windows vista XP. I've tried everything I could think of, next to actually spending money on a new Mobo. I just bought this system. It's a Dell E520.

I have the XP CD and the Vista CD. The computer works with Windows Vista installed. I tried sticking in the CD with windows XP in it so i could go to the recovery console and format vista but I got BSOD. So i moved the hard drive to another computer, ran the XP CD and reformatted the hard drive. I installed XP onto it. I stuck the hard drive back into the originally PC, and right after the loading screen/right before the user account selection screen, I get the BSOD error again about windows shutting down to protect my computer. It's making me slightly angry, I've changed about everything that might make any difference in the BIOS and now, I've resorted to help from an outside source, this forum, and the dell forum, but they take a long time to reply, so i came here, I hope you can help. Thanks in advance.

Edited by cabledevin, 16 July 2007 - 12:12 PM.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi cabledevin...

Use your XP cd to run this REPAIR to your installation of XP. This procedure will not damage or change your current files or settings...it will just repair or replace damaged system files. You will be asked for your Installation CD and may be asked for your product key. Follow the instructions carefully...print them out if you can. Note: This option is not always available on OEM Recovery Cd's

When you installed XP on the other machine, it installed to that hardware. You need to repair the installation so that it uses the hardware on the new machine.

wannabe1

cabledevin

cabledevin

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks for the try, but I've tried in 4 other places, and they describe a majority of the things i've done to try to fix this. The System won't let the XP installation do anything! even get to the screen where you can hit the [r] key. My problem doesn't have an obvious solution that I am aware of. I am not unintelligent, nor am I computer illiterate in the least. But if anyone knows something feasible that I do not, and haven't tried, I'd be glad to hear it.

Here are links to the 4 other forums that I have posted my problem in. I think one of them might look like you have to log in, but you just have scroll down (unless I'm thinking of a different part of the site)

http://www.techsuppo...ive-bootup.html
http://www.dellcommu...=229728#M229728
http://www.techsuppo...-vista-support/
http://forums.techgu...-windows-vista/

I am sorry if I sound scary repelling indignant insulting or anything else that you may take offense to, be assured, I meant no offense.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
According to the spec sheet, you have Serial ATA drives in that machine. Is this true? Or are you using an ATA drive?

How about a floppy drive...looks like some shipped with them and some without. Do you have one installed?

cabledevin

cabledevin

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Problem solved, had to change the SATA configuration in the bios to Autodetect Thanks for your patience everyone :whistling: