Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

email sound

• Please log in to reply

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Here's URL for Audio Codecs if you need them.

More info about codecs at:

Using Codecs

They cover more on your dad's WMP 11 which we need to get working in emails. I lost track on whether you both are having the same problem or just him. LOL If he can try running CDs and DVDs to see if there is any problems with sound/video there. If not, it's back to email and WMP 11.

Ron

Advertisements

walpoole

walpoole

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
"More info about codecs at: Using Codecs"

Very interesting and simply explained. Tho not necessarily easy to fix a problem.

"If he can try running CDs and DVDs to see if there is any problems with sound/video there. If not, it's back to email and WMP 11."

Dad does some surfing with his computer, prints cards, checks ebay periodically, some genealogy but email every day. From what I see, he opens/sends limited attachments. I would be surpised if he has a cd, I know he does not have a dvd. All the audio/moving things that I receive from him iare imbedded in the email(what is that called,by the way?), they are not attached. This one particular email that we've been working on(there are others) is an attachment, and is Windows Media Player. He gets no audio, I get no video. This is really not important to me, unless it can be fixed easily. I would rather you help him with his problem. He also says that as he gets limited emails with WMP, if it is too hard to remedy, so be it.

Nancy

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
What is the full file name of the attachment you both are having problems with? Will have to see why other techs haven't responded to my request for assistance.

Ron

walpoole

walpoole

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
As I look at the email in Outlook Express, in the "attach" line it says disappear.wmv (5.44mb). I click on that, Windows Media Player come up. In my case, a box comes up that says Unable to download an appropriate decompressor. I click Ok, then WMP continues and I can hear the clip but not see it(dad has the opposite problem). The Clip is Criss Angel- momentary vanish, copyright MindFreak. It is a 2 minute clip.

Nancy

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
I think you may need to download/install the codecs for WMP 9.1:

Codecs

If you are on dial-up, it may takes a little time on some of these.

On your dad's WMP 11. If you get over there, try to to this page and see if you can play all of the files listed with his player:

WMP multimedia file formats

Ron

robertk

robertk

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
Nancy here. Thank you Major Payne. I went here: "I think you may need to download/install the codecs for WMP 9.1:
Codecs:. Every time I clicked on a highlited link. it just gave me information. It never took me to a place to download. I have officially given up. I Thank you very much for your time and so does my dad. I am now looking into upgrading my OS, maybe I can figure out how to get a Windows Vista or some such thing. As I have a great lcd monitor, speakers, keyboard and mouse, I just need the OS. I posted on the Windows Vista forum and will limp along until we can figure out how to upgrade.

Nancy

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Sorry. That was the wrong link anyway, but the codecs download is not for your O/S anyway. It was here if you're curious:

Codec Installation Package and was for Windows XP Home Edition ; Windows XP Media Center Edition; Windows XP Professional Edition anyway.

The others I found are for Windows 2000; Windows 98 Second Edition; Windows ME, but not Win 98.

Unless you have the PC to run Vista, I would recommend staying with Win XP Home. Even Dell changed their mind and now allow people to chose which O/S they want their new PC shipped with. Sorry I couldn't have been of more help.

Ron

Edited by Major Payne, 02 August 2007 - 07:32 PM.

robertk

robertk

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
No, you were of help. Last nite we bought a Gateway tower at Circuit City, they are installing Vista and doing a bunch of other stuff, plus setting it up here. Costing more than we'd like but they will also transition the computers and give us a brief Vista tutorial. They about laughed when I said I had Windows 98.
Again, Thank you.

Nancy

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
You're welcome. I'm sure you will enjoy your new PC. There will be lots of improvements over Win 98 and you'll be happily amazed. I hope you are going to broadband if not there already.

Ron