Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wireless vs DSL

• Please log in to reply

headwayne

headwayne

• PipPipPip
  • 202 posts
I know someone in close proximity to me, that "borrows" wireless signals from the neighborhood. Is this same "borrowing" possible with my DSL ?

Are there any techniques for my being able to detect this??

Thank you

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Set up security on your router.
See your manual for how to do this.

If somebody can latch onto your wireless they will be latching onto your DSL and using up your monthly allowance.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
unless you've got a wireless setup in your house...they'd either have to walk in to your house and connect to your modem...or find some way to "splice" into a line inside the modem...not likely that either would happen without you knowing about it

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
The security vulnerability you're referring to would only pose as an issue for wireless networks. You said you have DSL, but said nothing about running a home network, which makes me think that you have DSL on a single computer, no router. In this case, only one computer can connect to that modem at once, thereby making it quite a challenge for someone else to jump in, especially if you aren't sending wireless signals, it would be as dsenette said, someone would have to find a way to splice the line.

onedoller

onedoller

• PipPip
  • 53 posts
Encrypt your network