Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

maximum hard disk size for windows XP

• Please log in to reply

ox411

ox411

• PipPip
  • 47 posts
im going to be putting 4 hard drives into a RAID 0 array. i was going to get 4 80 gig Western Digital Caviar SE WD800JD drives, but the tech support guy said that the Caviar SE drives werent designed for use in RAID arrays and i should get Western Digital Caviar RE WD1600YS drives instead. the smallest Caviar RE style drive they make is 160 gigs.

after the 4 drives are set up in the RAID 0 array will windows XP recognize a 640 gig hard drive?

thanks for your help
-josh

Advertisements

Tal

Tal

Trusted Helper

• Retired Staff
  • 2,138 posts
I don't know of any issues that may arise. Originally XP did not support hard drives larger than 127GB. SP1 does. http://support.micro.....Ben-us;303013

ClickRight

ClickRight

• PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
You'll have no problem with that. Just remember that you don't get any fault tolerance with RAID0. I don't know what the performance difference between a 2 and 4 drive raid 0, but you only need two drives to run in a raid 0. If you want to use four, personally, I would do a RAID 0+1 Array to make use of the speed and tolerance.

ox411

ox411

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
thanks for the advice....

a 0 + 1 array is like making a mirrored set of the striped raid array right?

im thinking about holding off on buying all those new drives for a while and trying to do something with some drives i already have.

ive been looking at some PCI RAID controllers that are for IDE drives.
this one in particular :

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16816116036

any thoughts ?

thanks
-josh

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
what are you hoping to get out of a raid setup? what are you using the PC for? etc.. might be easier to decide on options if we know the reasons you want to go the raid route

ox411

ox411

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
the PC is just my home computer.... its mostly a hobby. my wife and i use it for the normal things.. web surfing picture storage etc....

i put in the first RAID set a few years ago attatched to the SATA connectors on my motherboard that run at SATA I speed. just because i heard it was fast and i thought it would be cool. theres 2 SATA hard drives set up in a RAID 0 array. i use it as drive C with windows and all programs on it. i know theres no backup, bu t its been perfect for years, and if it ever crashes i can reinstall the entire drive from some DVDs i made with norton ghost, so im not too worried about a worst case senario where i loose the drive.

i also have an IDE drive that i use for our pictures and other personal things.

i was planning on getting some more drives and a PCI card to make the C drive a 4 drive RAID 0 array (running at SATA II speed) and making the D drive a 2 drive RAID 1 array (running at SATA I speed). its a long story, but with SATA I vs. SATA II and my older hard drives / motherboard it wound up being a lot more then i wanted to spend to do all that.

im totally sick of making backup DVDs of my D drive with norton ghost, it takes forever and sometimes it fails, so id still like to set the D drive up as a RAID 1 array, but with 2 IDE drives instead of SATA drives. so now im looking at PCI cards that can do that. it has to be PCI becasue my board doesnt have PCI Express.

thats the story in a nutshell, any advice would be helpful
thanks
-josh