Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Monitor is possessed--Help!

• Please log in to reply

lacohn

lacohn

• PipPip
  • 32 posts
My Windows 2000 machine is having the strangest problem. The display looks scrambled--the displays shakes, shimmers, and is almost causing me a seizure just to look at it. I bought a new lcd monitor (the old monitor was crt), but the same problem! Then I tried moving the machine and monitor into another room (i thought perhaps it was some type of magnetic interference), but the problem persisted. Is it the video card? When I connect to the machine remotely (via gotomypc), the image is fine... I would appreciate any advice you can offer!

Advertisements

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Hi. When did this start? Have you made any changes to the system recently? What kind of card do you have in the computer?

lacohn

lacohn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
The problem has actually been happening for 6 months, but I finally am getting around to doing something about it. This is an office computer... The video card is a Nvidea Vanta PCI card. It started when we moved into a new office building. I assumed it was just magnetic interference, but when we moved the computer to another location and it still was shaky, I began to think it was something else. We have at least 10 other computers in our suite that show no interference at all. Can a bad video card cause this shakiness/wobbliness in a picture?

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Honestly, there's no telling what a bad video card will do, but going buts and shaking is a good sign that something is wrong there... Is the monitor sitting on a metal shelf? Do you have any halogen lights next to the monitor?