Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Helping with installing CDROM and Harddrive...

• Please log in to reply

DBSnipe

DBSnipe

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I am trying to install a CD ROM drive and a Hard drive into an old PC... I can hook the 2 peripherals up separately fine, but when I put them together, it doesnt recognize the CD ROM drive... I have changed the jumpers, to no avail.. Any help would be appreciated!

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
It's considered best practice, particularly on older PCs, to have hard-drives and cd-rom drives on separate cables anyway, because of the slower speed of the cd-rom drive effectively stopping the hard drive from reaching it's maximum performance. So you should keep them on separate IDE cables anyway and don't worry about it. I imagine it's a compatibility issue that won't allow the hard disk and cd-rom to share the same cable, but in a way it's done you a favour. They shouldn't be sharing the same cable if you want the best performance from the PC in general.

Edited by pip22, 17 July 2007 - 03:15 AM.

DBSnipe

DBSnipe

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Well, I tried putting it on two cables. But when I do that, it doesn't recognize the second cable in the POST or BIOS... It only shows the Hard Drive. But when I put the CDROM in the primary cable slot and the hard drive in the other it just shows the CD ROM... suspect bad motherboard? Or is there some settings I need to look for? I do not see a dip switch on the motherboard which is an Abit-VH6...The CD ROM is a GCE-8527B... And the harddrive is a Seagate 40gb. I put all the parts into a case so It's not a specific brand.