Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Noob - Need some help building a new computer - several questions

• Please log in to reply

kitaeren

kitaeren

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Okay, so I'm a complete noob at this.

This is what I'm chosen for my computer:

Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

EVGA 122-CK-NF68-A1 LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 680i SLI ATX Intel Motherboard

Intel Core 2 Duo E6850 Clock Speed 3.00GHz FSB 1333 L2 Cache 4MB (This chip comes out on July 22nd according to what I've read on the internet).

(2x) EVGA 768-P2-N831-AR GeForce 8800GTX 768MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Video Card

OCZ GameXStream OCZ700GXSSLI ATX12V 700W Power Supply

(2x) CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model TWIN2X2048-6400C4

(2x) SAMSUNG SpinPoint T Series HD501LJ 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM

LITE-ON 20X DVD+-R DVD Burner with 12X DVD-RAM write and LightScribe Technology Black E-IDE/ATAPI Model LH-20AIH-185 - OEM

Gateway FPD2485W Black 24" LCD Monitor (24", 1920x1200, 6ms, DVI, PC Mac)

So, I'll have 2 768MB video cards (SLI), 4GB of RAM. and 1 terabyte of total storage. I plan on running this on Windows XP.

I had a couple of questions:

1. Is there an after market cooler that I should be getting for the E6850? If so, will it fit in the case that I chose above? Or should I just stick with whatever comes with the CPU in the box?

2. Will the above set up completely fit in the above case?

3. Is the above motherboard compatible with all of the above (especially the chip)?

4. Is the monitor compatible with my video card set up?

Thank you so much for all of your help!!!!

Advertisements

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
1. It depends if its a retail chip or OEM, OEM doesn't come with a fan or box. Also, if you plan on overclocking yes you do need a new aftermarket cooler. If you'd like me to suggest one just let me know.
2. Yes, great choice for the case by the way, I have the same case and love it.
3.This cannot be guaranteed at the moment, the 680i's do not officially support the FSB of 1333, so I'd hold on that till the first of august when word will spread around the internet. A revision may be needed as there have already been 3 from the 680i. The only chipset that officially support the 1333FSB at the current time is P35, however it doesn't support SLI.
4. Yes, but I recommend a different monitor, it's gateway and I've heard lots of comments of them using cheap material to build their products. There is only one downfall with this monitor that I'm about to suggest, that the fact that it has a viewing angle of 160/160, you can get the same monitor with 178/178 for 150$ more (quite a bit more I think).
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16824001234

Also just a heads up, unless you have vista you cannot run DX10, so I recommend you get it to play newer games at their best. Lastly on a 32bit operating system you can only have 3.1-3.5 GB as a limit, it varies by the amount of peripherals you have and hard drives on your computer.
James

Edited by james_8970, 17 July 2007 - 12:44 PM.

kitaeren

kitaeren

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
1. It would be a retail chip. I'm waiting for it to show up on Newegg.com. I do not plan on overclocking; I'm just not sure if I will need an aftermarket one anyway. I've heard that the chips can run super hot if you don't have an aftermarket cooler. If you think I might need one, I'd definitely be interested in what you think what be a good choice (and still fit in the case I chose.)

2. Thanks. :-)

4. The monitor is already purchased. And this particular one has gotten really good reviews over the internet.

Thanks again.

1. It depends if its a retail chip or OEM, OEM doesn't come with a fan or box. Also, if you plan on overclocking yes you do need a new aftermarket cooler. If you'd like me to suggest one just let me know.
2. Yes, great choice for the case by the way, I have the same case and love it.
3.This cannot be guaranteed at the moment, the 680i's do not officially support the FSB of 1333, so I'd hold on that till the first of august when word will spread around the internet. A revision may be needed as there have already been 3 from the 680i. The only chipset that officially support the 1333FSB at the current time is P35, however it doesn't support SLI.
4. Yes, but I recommend a different monitor, it's gateway and I've heard lots of comments of them using cheap material to build their products. There is only one downfall with this monitor that I'm about to suggest, that the fact that it has a viewing angle of 160/160, you can get the same monitor with 178/178 for 150$ more (quite a bit more I think).
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16824001234

Also just a heads up, unless you have vista you cannot run DX10, so I recommend you get it to play newer games at their best. Lastly on a 32bit operating system you can only have 3.1-3.5 GB as a limit, it varies by the amount of peripherals you have and hard drives on your computer.
James

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
They run hotter, but not enough to justify getting a aftermarket cooler unless your overclocking. You shouldn't have troubles fitting any aftermarket cooler into this case.
James

Edited by james_8970, 18 July 2007 - 07:10 PM.