Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Xp problem, please help unknowledgable girl

• Please log in to reply

superhero_chick

superhero_chick

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I was scanning my PCG-K45 Vaio notebook with Norton and there were at risk virus' found it wouldnt delete. So i clicked on those and got to how to manually delete them in the registry. Well i obviously deleted something wrong, because it then began to shut down, and wont start. I turn it on and tried to boot in safe mode by pressing F8, and that does nothing. I really dont know much about computers, and just bought this one :tazz: . Please can anyone help?

Advertisements

marinegeek59

marinegeek59

• PipPip
  • 35 posts
hows it going shc, wow it could be a million things,from the latest look2me parisite or a winsock issue or a problem in your registry my best advice would be for u to take back to were u bought have them look at it i would be shooting in the dark if i tried to give you advice, at the very worst is the wipe the hd clean and reenstall your os its not that big of a deal just will cost u some time and cash hope this helps cheers :tazz: keep fighting the good fight

scottb

scottb

• PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
If your pc is not booting I would suggest the best solution would be to do a repair install of windows xp Follow this link to a walk through guide.Repair

Any non windows data on the HDD will be safe if you follow the guide.
I'm assuming you have a windows xp disk and it's windows xp on the pc not starting.

hope this helps
let us know how you get on.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Pretty sure Sony only ships a recovery CD.

That said, some more advanced Recovery CDs will do a non-destructive repair.

Superhero chick, in the future, Antivirus programs will not remove virii from the system restore volume. To clear those virr warnings, you need to disable system restore temporarily