Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Speeding up my LAN connection

• Please log in to reply

AliL

AliL

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
Hi there, I was wondering if there is any way to speed up my LAN network connection to it's full potential, because I have a network storage device (Freecom Network Drive LAN & USB2) connected to my Netgear DG834G router and I have noticed the file transfer to be slow. For example when transferring a 700MB CD ISO file it takes about 3 minutes 10 seconds to transfer, which equates to about 3.75MB/s which is about 30Mbits. I have a 100Mbit LAN connection and all of my devices support this speed, so why is it only using 30% of the connection and is there a way to utilise all 100%?

Advertisements

silverbeard

silverbeard

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPip
  • 791 posts
Hi AliL,

There are a lot of factors in a network. You have to take into account the slowest part of the network which is usually the storage media. A network drive can be a choke point but there is also the router to take into account. I haven't kept up on it but most home use routers only transfer at about 30mbps though put, they are rated at 100mbps. Sata 1 drives I've tested have good burst rates at near the 150 MBps but rarely have sustained transfer rates at half that.

Switching over to a true gigabit network with a proper router, switch and nic's would be the best way to increase LAN speed perhaps by a factor of 5 to 10x.