Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Partitioning a new drive

• Please log in to reply

vinny_the_hack

vinny_the_hack

• PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
I am running XP from a single 80-gb drive. I will be buying a new 160-gb drive. I plan to partition the new drive into 2 80-gb sections. I'm thinking of making a physical copy of my 80-gb drive to one of the new partitions whenever I make an update or install new software and to copy my personal files on a more frequent basis, like every day, to the other partition.

Q1: Is this feasable?

Q2: What is the eaisest, no cost, way to prepare the new disk? Please provide details or point me to hopefully simple instructions.

Thanks.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
all of that is 100% doable...and since you're not monkeying with your system drive...you can just use windows to partition and format the new drive once it's installed

right click on my computer and choose manage, then choose disk management. once the new drive is in...you should see it as "unallocated space' choose to create a partition on the drive and make it the size you want then format it how you like.

also...the HD manufacturer will either supply a disk or has a download of their own utility to do the same thing on a new drive

vinny_the_hack

vinny_the_hack

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
Thanks for the info! Sounds like a piece of cake.

I went to pick up the new drive today, but they were out of stock. It'll be a few days before I can try this out. One last question: Do you address each partition by assigning a drive letter?

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Yes it gives you a whole bunch of options, you can assign whatever you like, or you can let it default to the next available letter. As long as you install it correctly (the hardest part but not very hard if you know what you are doing), it is pretty easy.

vinny_the_hack

vinny_the_hack

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
Kewl. the drive I have installed now I put in when my original started getting errors, so I'm ok with the physical install.

Thanks.

vinny_the_hack

vinny_the_hack

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
I just installed the new hard drive. It does not show up in "my computer". When I go into disk managment through the control panel, the device is there as "unallocated', however I see no option to format it, allocate it, partition it, assign a drive letter or anything else that might be useful. Properties says that it is working properly and enabled. Where do I go from here?

vinny_the_hack

vinny_the_hack

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
Ignore previous post. I downloaded a tool from the manufacturer's website and used it.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Great! Well done... :whistling:

Damin

Damin

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi

I have loaded up windows xp on two of my drives c: and e:.......how do i fix this