Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Considering a Buffalo Wireless Router

• Please log in to reply

PuffGussy36

PuffGussy36

• PipPip
  • 68 posts
Looking at a purchasing a Buffalo wireless router. They are inexpensive and get rave reviews from tech savvy buyers. Only I don’t know/understand what DD-WRT and/or Thibor firmware is? Firmware is software built into an electronic device right? Is it something you can buy or download to the router once you plug it in?

It has been said (on New Egg consumer reviews) that you must "flash" this firmware when using this router. Can someone explain in “English” what this means? I’m just below the level where I understand this stuff. I’m pretty much a USB 2.0 plug and play person.

Thanks.

:whistling:

Edited by PuffGussy36, 17 July 2007 - 12:23 PM.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
firmware is the "software" used for the device to operate...firmware USED to be hard coded (hence the name) but now Firmware is dynamic so you can "flash" or upgrade the firmware on most devices

for the buffalo (and any routers) you can download the firmware from the manufacturer's website and then use the management interface (the router's webpage) to update the firmware...for most routers it's as simple as pointing the device to a file on your computer while you're connected to it

PuffGussy36

PuffGussy36

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
The customer reviews on New Egg (made mostly by those with a "high" level of tech knowledge) didn't make it sound as easy as that.

I can be talked through or follow the instructions for some pretty complicated tasks. GTG has "walked" me through some pretty indepth stuff. I was just leary of spending the money on such an item if I had to invest all this time and labor to really get the most out of it.

Are the advances in flash memory at all connected to why firmware can now be "flash" updated to devices?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP

Are the advances in flash memory at all connected to why firmware can now be "flash" updated to devices?

.....not really....but sort of haha

for any router it's suggested to update to the most recent FW revesion before using it...just makes sure verything is running on the newest stuff....the manual will have instructions on how to upgrage the firmware...and should be rellatively easy to follow...iv'e never updated a buffalo but it shouldn't be that hard

PuffGussy36

PuffGussy36

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
Thank you very much for the feedback. :whistling: