Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

boot problem

• Please log in to reply

amy1507

amy1507

• Pip
  • 2 posts
You'll have to excuse me, I'm not as knowledgeable about computers as most of you here (by a long shot)

Sony Vaio desktop - fairly new, purchased about a year ago.

Sorry I'm not sure about the specs (now I feel like an idiot)

anyway, heres what happens when I turn the computer on:

1. Turn power on
2. Vaio logo appears, then intel inside
3. A screen similar to the safe mode (F8) screen appears. Apologize for inconvenience, windows did not start successfully, may be due to a recent hardware or software change (or something along those lines)
safe mode
safe mode w/ networking
safe mode w/ command prompt
start windows normally

If I go to any of the safe mode options:
1. A black screen with a bunch of (ummm) file names? scrolls up the screen. It always stops at mup.sys
2. After a about 10 seconds the screen says no input signal (I'm guessing the computer is restarting?
3. Then it goes back to the beginning with the vaio logo

If I go to start windows normally:
1. Windows xp logo appears with the loading bar
2. Screen says no input signal
3. Back to vaio logo etc.

I went into BIOS, if you need the temps and fan speeds I have it, it's probably not needed though. However, the cpu temp was 56c/132.5F isn't that a bit warm?!

Any help will be greatly appreciated. I'm in college and my classes start next month, I'll be struggling without a computer. I also don't really have any extra money, so if there is ANYTHING that I can at least try pleeease tell me. (in layman's terms lol)

Thanks,
Amy

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,839 posts
Hi amy1507, welcome to Geeks to Go! Sounds like a problem alright :blink: have you tried to fix your computer by following these steps? If not, give it a go first. Any problems, feel free to ask for help in the XP forum.

Good luck! :whistling:

amy1507

amy1507

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks for the reply, I'll take a look at those steps and give them a go. :whistling: