Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Video card question

• Please log in to reply

Recrem

Recrem

• Pip
  • 3 posts
i just got a new Mother Board and processor, and the video card i had in my old pc wasn't compatiable with my new MB, and so now im planning on buying a new video card, the one i want is ATI Radeon X1650 PRO, and the website for my MB says that its compatiable just with the model GECUBE RADEON X1650PRO, i plan on buying online but the site im buying from says it a "SAPPHIRE ATI Card"

sooo i was wondering does this make much of a difference?, should i go on and order it or should i keep looking for a GECUBE?

thanks ahead of time

Edited by Recrem, 17 July 2007 - 07:43 PM.

Advertisements

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
What kind of motherboard do you have? This is the first I have heard of mobo only having compatablity with certain video cards.

Recrem

Recrem

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
it an Asrock 775i945GZ

heres the site with the list of compatiable video cards,

http://www.asrock.co...775i945GZ&s=775

im not really sure if the GECUBE or SAPPHIRE makes a difference, it just i don't want to go ahead and order just to find out there is a difference

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Looking at the Asrock site it seems this board doesn't have a PCI-Express x16 marked slot (which is how most cards are made these days), it instead only has an AGI slot which looks curiously like a PCI-E x16 slot.

AGI is not a standard slot type. It's an ASRock name for an AGP slot connected to PCI. AGI Express is their name for a PCI Express x16 physical slot with only x4 lanes. Which basically means it will only talk to certain PCI-E cards as documented on Asrock's website.