Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CD/DVD Writer combo not reading CD-R

• Please log in to reply

dbrodsky

dbrodsky

• PipPip
  • 55 posts
I have an HP computer with an HP DVD writer/CD writer combo, and a second drive that is a CD-ROM.

The CD-ROM works fine, but the combo drive keeps giving a message saying "Please insert blank disc" when I try to burn a CD from iTunes. However, the drive is listed as working properly and I can eject it using the on screen prompts. Therefore, the it works enough to open and close, and the computer is communicating with it because it can make it eject.

I would buy a new CD/DVD writer, but I can't tell if it is broken or there is another problem causing it not to read the CD-R discs that I have been inserting.

Does this sound like the CD/DVD writer is broken or there is a software problem causing it not to recognize the blank CD's.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
If this is the first time you have tried using that particular brand of blank discs on the HP CD-writer, it may simply be that the writer does not like that brand. This is not unusual, especially if the blank discs are an obscure brand or a bulk-pack of cheap ones. Before blaming the drive I recommend you buy a 5 or 10-pack of big-name blank discs (Sony, TDK, Kodak etc) and try those.

Another possibility, if the above suggestion makes no difference, is that the iTunes software is malfunctioning, so try a different cd-burning utility (such as the one built into XP) to verify this.

Edited by pip22, 18 July 2007 - 03:07 AM.

dbrodsky

dbrodsky

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
Thanks. I did try burning a CD using XP's "Recordnow" program and had the same results. I'll try picking up a quality disc. The pack I had before was "imation."